• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Team for Wycombe

D__Lo__

Reid is decent in the air.

Even in City's struggling side I still think it's far from certain TAH would displace a fully fit JMT, Brown or Sweeney so any suggestion of his absence having as big an impact as Tisdale makes out is very questionable.

Avening Posse

Very well known Exeweb poster
It's so difficult to pick a side given how unbalanced the squad is
Spot on......only as good as the sum of the parts, very strong (relatively) in certain areas, but very weak (or even non existent) in others

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
TAH if fit would walk into city's back four at centre half - I'd prefer to see him in central midfield though - given his physical attributes

Either way he's played 56 games in the last 5 seasons - so if we get 15 games out of him we've probably done well.

CREDYGRECIAN

Spot on......only as good as the sum of the parts, very strong (relatively) in certain areas, but very weak (or even non existent) in others
I genuinely look at the squad for Saturday and think I would choose a 16 year old boy to play in the middle of the park - the options in midfield are so poor.

Avening Posse

I genuinely look at the squad for Saturday and think I would choose a 16 year old boy to play in the middle of the park - the options in midfield are so poor.
It's strange isn't it, Holmes, Wheeler, Stacey, arguably Taylor, arguably Grant, all can play wide going forward but only ever 2 places for that, there are at least 5 forwards too, and yet there isn't really anybody who is naturally a RB. And agree central midfield this season is dangerously inadequate, and the certainly in my view the main cause of the problems. That defence when fit (aside from RB) should be adequate or better for the division, but not if nobody is helping them out in front of them they will always be vulnerable. Ampadu must be better than the current guys, or even stick Croll in there, or give Byrne a go, those guys get stuck in and are more defensively minded

D__Lo__

It's strange isn't it, Holmes, Wheeler, Stacey, arguably Taylor, arguably Grant, all can play wide going forward but only ever 2 places for that, there are at least 5 forwards too, and yet there isn't really anybody who is naturally a RB. And agree central midfield this season is dangerously inadequate, and the certainly in my view the main cause of the problems. That defence when fit (aside from RB) should be adequate or better for the division, but not if nobody is helping them out in front of them they will always be vulnerable. Ampadu must be better than the current guys, or even stick Croll in there, or give Byrne a go, those guys get stuck in and are more defensively minded
Yeah it's absolute madness.

CREDYGRECIAN

To go into a season with Harley , James &. 39 year old as back up is just madness.

The midfield is so light not just in numbers but also quality and even more importantly toughness

Avening Posse

I think it's fair to assume the club must have tried to replace Ribs but for whatever reason the targets didn't want to come, and if they did try then I have some sympathy. Sweeney is decent, and from what I have seen of Croll (only seen him at away games), he's looked good too. TAH used to be good, but who knows these days, and we hasn't seen him properly yet anyway. McAllinden and Reid for this level in my view are good additions as well, a young un to try and improve and a proven goalscorer, always comes back to central midfield for me though.....Dont think a combination of Harley and James is going to cut the mustard, one of them has got to be sacrificed surely ?

CREDYGRECIAN

Harley and James against Argyle looked like they was playing for a youth team against a men's side - they lost the battle all afternoon and Argyle totally dominated in there - it was the same against Notts County

Nobody wants us to have a team of cloggers - but in league 2 the middle of the park isn't somewhere for tippy tappy sideways passes it's where the game is won and lost and it's generally a battle - there will be games where we out football sides in midfield but the results at home especially show it happens once in a blue moon

We need a ball winner , we need somebody who's 15-16 stone of muscle who can cover the ground and keep it simple

I've no problem with ball players in the middle as long as it's balanced with somebody who can do the dirty stuff - having 2 ball players in the middle and sometimes it's 3 given the formation just won't work.

davecg

Olejnik
Sweeney Ampadu Croll Woodman
James JMT
Wheeler Watkins Holmes
Reid