• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Team for Wycombe

D__Lo__

Given the fragility surely a defensive midfielder is a must behind two centre-mids.

Olejnik
Stacey Sweeney JMT CRL
Ampadu
Byrne James
Watkins Reid Holmes

Time to give CRL a run, he can't be much worst and the potential rewards in the long-term could be substantial. There aren't many good young British full-backs around, particularly left-sided playing regularly. Byrne surely deserves a chance by now, James only remains due to lack of alternatives. I can see why Tis doesn't play this formation as potentially decent quality gets left out as only one of Watkins, Wheeler and Taylor are used but good teams are built on solid foundations and this is greatly lacking atm. Watkins and Holmes would get greater license at least in this formation.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
I would play

Olejnik
Sweeney JMT Croll Woodman
Wheeler Ampadu Oakley Holmes
Watkins
Reid

Bench: McAlinden, James, CRL, Byrne, Taylor, Pym, Stacey

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I would play

Olejnik
Sweeney JMT Croll Woodman
Wheeler Ampadu Oakley Holmes
Watkins
Reid

Bench: McAlinden, James, CRL, Byrne, Taylor, Pym, Stacey
Oakley? I wonder if Egan is up to a Wycombe style game?

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Oakley? I wonder if Egan is up to a Wycombe style game?
Yes our central midfield was terrible against Notts County. The wisdom of Oakley with the exuberance of Ampadu certainly wouldn't do any worse than Jake Taylor and Lloyd James

Not worn fryer tuck costume for a while as it does
Everyone keeps talking about four at the back, Tis himself keep on talking about 'the back four' but its clearly not working, time to change to 3-5-2 / 5-3-2 whichever your viewpoint and make getting through our defence a little more difficult, also means getting the ball wide and having a go when we have it? Just me or anyone else agree?

D__Lo__

Everyone keeps talking about four at the back, Tis himself keep on talking about 'the back four' but its clearly not working, time to change to 3-5-2 / 5-3-2 whichever your viewpoint and make getting through our defence a little more difficult, also means getting the ball wide and having a go when we have it? Just me or anyone else agree?
It's actually a really good shout considering how weak the full-backs are. It'll never happen though of course and people will disagree as much like my suggestion you can really only have one (maybe two if Watkins is pushed upfront) of Wheeler, Watkins, Taylor and Stacey. None of them should be moved into centre-midfield.

manc grecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
Stacey and Riley-Lowe would be decent wing backs. We haven't got 3 decent centre halfs and we'd struggle to fit in all the wide players we have.

richard_portland

Very well known Exeweb poster
Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
Yep, we could integrate ampadu into a back three whenever he is free to play, other wise could be Croll Moore Taylor and Sweeney. I wouldn't personally want Oakley starting but he could form part of a three, and Tisdale has chosen to play him in defence many times.

For the wide players, Stacey could do a job on the right. Tisdale would probably go for woodman as he thinks the defence is too inexperienced but Riley Lowe has looked promising when he has played so would get my vote on the left.

Don't think we have the players for a 3-5-2 but I do think a 4-1-4-1 is possible.

Back 4 and then a sitting midfielder in front of them. Then let 4 attacking mids run riot in behind Reid. If you had Wheeler, Holmes, Taylor and Harley as creative players it could be dangerous.

It is an attacking line up but when at home we should be on the front foot.

D__Lo__

Stacey and Riley-Lowe would be decent wing backs. We haven't got 3 decent centre halfs and we'd struggle to fit in all the wide players we have.
Balance is more important so if you've got to leave 2/3 wide-players on the bench so be it. That's just a result of the poor squad management again anyway. It feels like we're always playing catch up trying to justify past mistakes.

We haven't got 3 decent centre-midfielders either but they're such fundamental positions at least the added numbers might give more protection. Maybe it won't but at the moment the defence is massively exposed, with just the 2 centre-backs and 2 centre-mids especially at home, it's not working. I'd go with 4-5-1/4-3-3 initially but I wouldn't completely rule out 3-5-2 as something needs to give.