• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Team for Wycombe

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Olejnik, Ampadu, Holmes, Reid and Wheeler. Is there another 6 players deserving of the shirt?

exeterry

Well-known Exeweb poster
Olejnik, Ampadu, Holmes, Reid and Wheeler. Is there another 6 players deserving of the shirt?
Ollie?????

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Ollie?????
Mixed feelings. Though he did score on Saturday so maybe he should start.

Terryhall

Not seen him play in person yet but the GP commentators generally have good things to say about Sweeney... is that borne out in person or just fluff?

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
If we based future team selections on one particularly bad (well, that's how it sounded) non-performance, we'd have run out of players a long time ago!

I was comfortable with last night's selection (having got it spot on in the preview) especially based on Saturday's showing, I do think the 11 we started with last night was the strongest available starting 11.

JMT will come back, but for me the key would be who is left out - given for me Jack Stacey has to start on the evidence I've seen. Croll went from hero to immediate zero last night but is that enough to merit dropping him?

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Not seen him play in person yet but the GP commentators generally have good things to say about Sweeney... is that borne out in person or just fluff?
I like the cut of his jib on the limited evidence I've seen of him so far.

Terryhall

If we based future team selections on one particularly bad (well, that's how it sounded) non-performance, we'd have run out of players a long time ago!

I was comfortable with last night's selection (having got it spot on in the preview) especially based on Saturday's showing, I do think the 11 we started with last night was the strongest available starting 11.

JMT will come back, but for me the key would be who is left out - given for me Jack Stacey has to start on the evidence I've seen. Croll went from hero to immediate zero last night but is that enough to merit dropping him?
Maybe move Croll or Stacey into midfield to replace James? We have form for bumping defenders into "defensive centre mid" with varied success (Edwards, Bennett, Tillson...)

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe move Croll or Stacey into midfield to replace James? We have form for bumping defenders into "defensive centre mid" with varied success (Edwards, Bennett, Tillson...)
No, that's too much of a square peg/round hole situation. Again on the limited evidence I can see what James brings to the side (he was excellent at Stevenage, a real talker and a proper Football brain) - as long as you wrestle the ball off him at corners! Far better than Tillson in that role for starters. Stacey is more suited to a wide role, so if you're pushing JMT back in (as you ought to) then something else has to give.

It's possible that Tis may look to remove Watkins to the bench and see how he fares in an impact role, moving Stacey back up to RM. Or to go back to the XI who started at Stevanage with Holmes on the bench.

Terryhall

Fair - haven't seen any of these new faces play yet so all I have to go on is GP commentary and match highlights (not always easy to get a good picture from that...!)

CREDYGRECIAN

Very well known Exeweb poster
Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Stacey is a winger play him in his proper bloody position

Jake Taylor isn't a centre midfielder play him in his proper position

Square pegs round holes

As for Wycombe - they will murder us in the physical battle and time waste - which will have Jason H spitting feathers and people claiming they would rather lose properly then winning like that

Team ?

Pym

Sweeney
JMT
Croll
CRL

Stacey
Ampadu
Wheeler
Holmes

Reid
Watkins