• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Team for Cambridge United away - Tuesday 21st August 2018

Exehausted

Pym
Sweeney Brown Martin Woodman
Tilson
Holmes Law Taylor
Martin Abrahams.
What????!!! You'd drop Forte and Stockley, blimey! If that happened there would be a bigger outcry than the Anfield one when Tis put Tom on the bench.

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
What????!!! You'd drop Forte and Stockley, blimey! If that happened there would be a bigger outcry than the Anfield one when Tis put Tom on the bench.
Thanks for that.

#stillfuming

Dubai Grecian

Martin for Holmes and Boateng for Tillson.
Totally agree

IndoMike

The thing is , this is an away game. When we play away from home in theory we don't have so much possession, but when we do get the ball we need to counter-attack fast. Stockley is more suited to home games, not fast counter-attacking. You have to think out of the box, which of course is difficult for those who are set in their ways.
I like Forte too, and wouldn't mind swapping him for Abrahams.

grecIAN Harris

Stockley won't be dropped at the moment and even the slightest suggestion smacks of stupity.

IndoMike

Stockley won't be dropped at the moment and even the slightest suggestion smacks of stupity.
I don't think you are such an expert on football that you can call my suggestion "stupid". However, you can disagree.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
The thing is , this is an away game. When we play away from home in theory we don't have so much possession, but when we do get the ball we need to counter-attack fast. Stockley is more suited to home games, not fast counter-attacking. You have to think out of the box, which of course is difficult for those who are set in their ways.
I like Forte too, and wouldn't mind swapping him for Abrahams.
Of the 37 goals Stockley has scored for us in his two spells, 20 have been scored away and 17 at home.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Stockley is our talisman, if he is fit and available he plays, it's as simple as that, he's the player that opposition fear.

He scores so many goals that other league 2 strikers would get nowhere near, without him last season we would have been well below mid table.

The focus should be on how we get more quality service into him and Forte, not whether or not we leave him out.

Last edited:

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Talk about leaving Stockley out is absolute bullpoopoo. He is a vital member of the team and as has been mentioned by TPC above last year without him we would have been nowhere. Look at Saturday - he ties up at least two of the the opposition when they try to mark him at set pieces and he still scores.

My concern for tomorrow is how the midfield sets up. as we are away I would start with Pym, Sweeney, A Martin, Brown, Woodman, Tilson, Holmes, Law, Taylor Forte and Stockley. On the bench Hamon, Oates, Boateng L.Martin, Jay, and Abrahams

I would also start thinking do I need to make a substitution because 60 minutes have passed or can the team continue to challenge for the full ninety unchanged. I think on saturday when we took off Forte he still seemed to have a lot of running in him and was proving quite a problem for their defence. Abrahams was nowhere near when he came on and the momentum was lost.

IndoMike

I think I'm right to think we should try it away from home, but it's just an idea. I see our football experts disagree, which they have every right to do. I'm sure many also disagreed when Tis moved Stacey to right back....:D