• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Tannoy

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
There is a problem with the radio waves from the mic to the receiver

It seems something blocks the path of the waves

Few months back me and Justin with Steve gibbins were trying to sort out the levels.. And during this we noticed that certain places around the ground blocked the signal

I heard last there were plans to move the receiver elsewhere but I don't know if that has happened yet

DanceMagnet

Few months back me and Justin with Steve gibbins were trying to sort out the levels.. And during this we noticed that certain places around the ground blocked the signal

I heard last there were plans to move the receiver elsewhere but I don't know if that has happened yet
Obviously not a priority for the club, then.

HH12

Well-known Exeweb poster
No Rush (facepalm) - it was the worse its been on Saturday - it was not just 'Norman Collier' but 'Norman Collier' Under Water

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
Yeah its only safety after all...

I know nothing about the tannoy setup but where exactly is the transmitter / receiver Lez and are all transmissions wireless from the same source i.e wireless mic as in the one used on the pitch , or ar there any other hardwired mics ?

Plenty of metal around the park to create signal shadows.

rustle

Said it before on another thread, I bet the Chiefs don't have the same problem. Get someone from Tony Rowe's company to 'sort it out'.

paperclip

Few months back me and Justin with Steve gibbins were trying to sort out the levels.. And during this we noticed that certain places around the ground blocked the

I'm no expert, but judging by Saturday's performance, I'll stick my neck out and say that it hasn't happened yet!

Last edited:

Kingsman

I have a little knowledge on this subject as I provide the odd PA system for outside and sporting events. Many years ago at the request of Dacre I looked at system at St James and it was a mixture of equipment, some of which was not fit for purpose. I presume that after that some of equipment was updated. I don't know if the receiver is still in the same place but there should be little in between the receiver and mics, on the pitch, to block the signal. If Lez is correct, and I am not doubting him, my best bet would be that, apart from user error, the system is an old VHF and not the more up to date UHF one which would produce a stronger signal over a longer distance. If correct it could be corrected for a few hundred pound. Whatever is wrong with it there are plenty of reputable firms who would inspect and advise.

Pete Martin (CTID)

Very well known Exeweb poster
Yesterday I watched the DVD of our 1989/1990 promotion campaign. A number of that seasons matches are featured and on several occasions the tannoy could be heard. Even on the DVD it was crystal clear and every word could be heard.

Maybe, on this one, we need to go backwards rather than forwards!

Last edited:

exeterry

Well-known Exeweb poster
Pardon...............?