• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Tagg's Trust AGM speech - 3 option

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
3 is cloud cuckoo land. No matter how many people "Greater Exeter" grows to encompass, only a few thousand will likely ever watch ECFC. The club does not have the backing, demographic or the wherewithal to make a hotel/leisure/stadium model work.
We certainly don't have the money to make it work. Yet

haka

Move from SJP?

No need to even consider it in L2 or L1. Higher levels? Here's the EFL website:

"Each Championship Club shall, with effect from the start of its fourth Season in the Championship only admit spectators to seated accommodation, and there shall be no standing terraces."

So when we get to where we've never been, and stay there, ECFC can start worrying about redeveloping or relocating from SJP. (But by then the rules will have changed and safe standing will be fine, or football will be played by cyborgs and watched by holograms).

Dannyred

3 is cloud cuckoo land. No matter how many people "Greater Exeter" grows to encompass, only a few thousand will likely ever watch ECFC. The club does not have the backing, demographic or the wherewithal to make a hotel/leisure/stadium model work.
What a negative post.

Do you ever think that people stay away as they feel the club have no ambition and why waste money.

I have also heard two sites have been looked at so maybe it’s being considered which I think would be great.

Matt Russell

Move from SJP?

"Each Championship Club shall, with effect from the start of its fourth Season in the Championship only admit spectators to seated accommodation, and there shall be no standing terraces."

So when we get to where we've never been, and stay there, ECFC can start worrying about redeveloping or relocating from SJP. (But by then the rules will have changed and safe standing will be fine, or football will be played by cyborgs and watched by holograms).
Not sure i agree with it, but isn't the argument in favour of this put the other way around. Not that we only need to worry about moving IF we reach those higher levels, but if we WANT to reach them, we have to think about moving....and the potential revenues a move might bring.

haka

Not sure i agree with it, but isn't the argument in favour of this put the other way around. Not that we only need to worry about moving IF we reach those higher levels, but if we WANT to reach them, we have to think about moving....and the potential revenues a move might bring.
If the argument is for major non-football revenue, that's fine. Though history teaches us to be very, very careful about such "monorail" promises.

But the club doesn't need to move for football reasons, or to get fantasy thousands coming to watch.

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
What a negative post.

Do you ever think that people stay away as they feel the club have no ambition and why waste money.

I have also heard two sites have been looked at so maybe it’s being considered which I think would be great.
It was a realistic post rather than negative one.

Legohead

Banned
Move from SJP?

Why the 4th season though? It's a bit random.

feverpitch

Well-known Exeweb poster
What a negative post.

You're confusing realism with negativity. It's has nothing to do with what we might wish for in a fantasy world and everything to do with what can and will actually happen and work. Look at our max average attendances. We have never got close to filling the capacity we have. That's not even considering the people who go now who would be put off by a soulless out of town stadium.

No, I have never met or heard of anyone who genuinely stays away from games for the reasons you suggest.

The club is right to keep its options open and always look to improve what we have but these "sites" won't ever get built and certainly not with ECFC in situ.

Dannyred

You're confusing realism with negativity. It's has nothing to do with what we might wish for in a fantasy world and everything to do with what can and will actually happen and work. Look at our max average attendances. We have never got close to filling the capacity we have. That's not even considering the people who go now who would be put off by a soulless out of town stadium.

No, I have never met or heard of anyone who genuinely stays away from games for the reasons you suggest.

The club is right to keep its options open and always look to improve what we have but these "sites" won't ever get built and certainly not with ECFC in situ.
I know people who have travelled all over the place supporting city in the darker days but won’t chuck anymore money away on a club that still remains a club in the lower leagues, older and wiser was words used by one of them.

I hope we move out to a new stadium that we can own.

Andy_H

The way that any sizable piece of land big enough to build a football stadium on, within a few miles of Exeter, is being snapped up by developers and granted planning permission for hundreds of houses, makes it almost impossible that a suitable site could be found. Maybe if the search moved across the 'boundry' into EDDC a suitable plot might be found, but then you are outside the natural catchment area and the related problems accociated with fans travelling to and from matches.