• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Tactics For The Season - Your Thoughts

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
Three home games played and the same pattern in each: start brightly, open the scoring, concede two, push for and get an equaliser before ninety minutes is up.

Obviously the middle part is not the game plan (!) but it seems there's been a tactical shift from Team Tis which possibly reflects The Great Man's better knowledge of the weakness of the opposition at this level and the new playing talent at his disposal.

Everything's different. It's likely he would have stuck with the same eleven again today if key personnel hadn't been injured. Contrast all this with last season when strikers were constantly juggled, we often seemed to come out just to get through to half time without conceding and we rarely opened the scoring before the interval, even at home.

In terms of results, there hasn't been much of a difference so far as early season draws at home were also the norm but it seems the fans are getting reason to turn up in greater numbers.

Listening to the commentaries it seems midfield is twice as strong right now as this time last year, with one of Noble, Harley, Sercombe or Dunne having to be on the bench - all quality players by the sound of things. When you have reliable characters like Cozic to come on to seal things up, we have more options now.

It will be very interesting to see how we aproach our first away game next week. I can't wait.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think weve played well in all 3 games... I think the defence will tighten as the season comes along and attack wise we look alot more of a threat than last season!! Midfield Noble looks a good signing(Although at fault for there first goal yesterday with a bad pass)

Pete Martin (CTID)

Very well known Exeweb poster
Largely agree with all of that. Just a bit worried about the fragility of both Nariello and Noble with both going off with niggling knocks yesterday (Nards very early on). On the positive side I think we have much more strength and adaptability throughout the team this year and everyone seems to respond well to Tis and his game plans and tactics.

O'Flynn will improve more and more as he settles in and looks less fragile and more bomb-proof than Nards. Sercs does some excellent stuff in midfield and seems to be improving all the time and Dunne isn't too far behind him imo.

Overall, good times. :)

ecfctis

Watching the first three games imho we are better off with Sercs, Dunne, Noble and Harley. Obviously injuries/sickness disrupted yesterdays selection.
For me Golbourne is not playing well and his place in the team should be questioned. B.Jones also is questionable, with our left side looking week when falling back to defend, but things will settle down over the next few games, hopefully.

ralph

On a tangent here, but don't Noble and Sercombe work well together? Several times yesterday, quick and accurate passing in tight situations got the ball into promising areas.

Cider

Still early days obviously but my initial impressions are that we are stronger than last season. We look more of a threat upfront with Nardiello in particular (hope he can stay fit). He looks to move forward and head towards goal. O'Flynn played well yesterday. I agree with others that our left side appears weakest at the moment. Billy Jones hasn't impressed me so far but early days. I wonder whether Golbourne would be better suited to left back. His crossing is erratic. Noble is clearly quality but still not match fit, got caught in possession alot yesterday. It would be great if we can hold onto Harley as we missed him yesterday. I get the sense that the team spirit is strong. Dunne and Sercs offer great energy in midfeld. All in all it looks positive.

samwise

On a tangent here, but don't Noble and Sercombe work well together? Several times yesterday, quick and accurate passing in tight situations got the ball into promising areas.

Some of Sercombe's passing and general play yesterday was sublime. I wanted to see him shoot a bit more often, but I think that might just be my memory of the goal at Wycombe getting the better of me.

A377 Lad

I think we are playing better, although if you are looking at it from a totally negative viewpoint, we are already four points down from last season, we beat Col U and Bristol R at H and have drawn both this time around, although it is a bit hard to draw conclusions two games in especially with the Stanno tragedy.

Grecian_Harryj

I feel sorry for Jake Thomson, with our left side looking quite weak, Billy Jones certainly is not his old self, and with Golbourne also looking quite weak, its is problem, i think the answer lies with Jake Thomson, who in the pre season games impressed me. It also seems on the left side there are no overlapping runs from Jones or Golbourne which means it slows the game down, unlike the right hand side, with Sercombe and Tully. Bit of topic but Tully has had an excellent season so far.

crocks

Very well known Exeweb poster
Looked far better when Noble (too slow, gets caught in possession, erratic passing) came off and Bertie (le crunch) came on.