• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Stevenage build up, predictions etc

Ash

Anyone seen Aaron Martin? Anyone? Please?! How can the big man not get a game with the way we've been defending lately? But he won't play and I can't see us getting a thing tbh, but hoping I'm wrong. Maybe a 1-1.

Last edited:

GCHQ

Anyone seen Aaron Martin? Anyone? Please?! How can the big man not get a game with the way we've been defending lately? But he won't play and I can't see us getting a thing tbh, but hoping I'm wrong. Maybe a 1-1.
He looked shaky at Northampton away. Brown and O'Shea by far our best combo for me.

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
10 goals shipped in the past 4 games,only the dire Port Vale did not fill their boots...Lets try & grind out a 0-0 & perhaps we may get lucky on the break.

Time for Arron Martin to return at Centre Half.

denzel

He looked shaky at Northampton away. Brown and O'Shea by far our best combo for me.
That was in a three though. As a pairing he may fare better

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
I've seen some ******** written by losing managers in the past, but this is classic...They lost 4 1 it's not like they were hanging on...
Not really. He's not complaining about the score he's complaining about the time wasting. Sounds like Stevenage were similar to Crawley. Its clearly a tactic and its $h!t. Fans pay their money to watch a game of football but instead watch a load of blokes being treated for fake injury whilst the rest of the team go to the bench area and have a drink. The player then hobbles off the pitch aided by the physio only to sprint back on when the refs calls him back into play. In the mean time 2 ot 3 minutes have passed and the momentum and flow of the game has been broken. 2 minutes later the whole thing happens again with a different player. It fooking stinks and is the most frustrating thing in football. I can accept the odd fake injury but when it happens over and over again its infuriating

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Stevenage haven't changed much, then. I remember them winning 1-0 down here back in the Conference years, using tactics like that. That was in Westley's time. The referee added on four minutes, but it could just as well have been fourteen. Maamria was in that team.

Spoonz Red E

Not really. He's not complaining about the score he's complaining about the time wasting. Sounds like Stevenage were similar to Crawley. Its clearly a tactic and its $h!t. Fans pay their money to watch a game of football but instead watch a load of blokes being treated for fake injury whilst the rest of the team go to the bench area and have a drink. The player then hobbles off the pitch aided by the physio only to sprint back on when the refs calls him back into play. In the mean time 2 ot 3 minutes have passed and the momentum and flow of the game has been broken. 2 minutes later the whole thing happens again with a different player. It fooking stinks and is the most frustrating thing in football. I can accept the odd fake injury but when it happens over and over again its infuriating
And the really crap thing about this and why I don't give much time to those who defend it as managing the game is that the player invariably goes down 'injured' when the other side has possession and is trying to build something. It's a way of breaking the game without any attempt to have control of the play.

Colesman Ballz

Stevenage haven't changed much, then. I remember them winning 1-0 down here back in the Conference years, using tactics like that. That was in Westley's time. The referee added on four minutes, but it could just as well have been fourteen. Maamria was in that team.
Ah the old Westley "Skulldugery" Tactical Handbook. Makes me shudder to think that it lives on in the hands of a disciple ! (puke))

Last edited:

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
I've seen some ******** written by losing managers in the past, but this is classic...They lost 4 1 it's not like they were hanging on...
He wasn't complaining about losing, though, he was bemoaning the tactics (and by implication the weak refereeing). I agree, we have seen it spreading like a rash the last few seasons. Maybe ECFC are too naive, but there has to be some sanction against this, it is clearly Unsporting Behaviour according to the Rules of the Game.

“We could hear them on the pitch, their players were saying, ‘It’s your turn to go down.’ ‘No, I’ve already been down.’ Then someone else would drop to the floor.

“This is a game of football. If you beat us on your day and you’re better than us, then fair enough,"

If this is true, and I was the referee and I heard that, I would stop play and give both players a yellow card for Unsporting Behaviour. Let the manager protest, I'd love to hear the justification.

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Very tricky game in what will be red hot conditions - a point would keep us in the hunt