• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Statistics and Club History

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
As far as I can see, our top scorer over the course of a 46 game league season was Reece Cole, with 6.

This seems incredibly low, especially considering it's not as if we were a basket case and got relegated. If this some kind of club record?
I watched City during the 80s and 90s - I doubt it.

tom_ecfc

As far as I can see, our top scorer over the course of a 46 game league season was Reece Cole, with 6.

This seems incredibly low, especially considering it's not as if we were a basket case and got relegated. If this some kind of club record?
On the flip side, Charlton who finished 16th had our friend Alfie May who ended up as the leagues top scorer with 23 goals.

Bridgy 81

On the flip side, Charlton who finished 16th had our friend Alfie May who ended up as the leagues top scorer with 23 goals.
I assume if we were able to get someone who could score that consistently we’d be tempted to grab the chance.
But, I think at our level especially to have one main source of scoring is very risky.
I much prefer the concept of having several goal threats in the squad and sharing the responsibility around.
Then if any one or two players are misfiring or unavailable for whatever reason it doesn’t derail the team completely.

Leads

I watched City during the 80s and 90s - I doubt it.
We were obviously much poorer then, but I still imagine in most seasons a player would have got to 7?

This wasn't meant to be a wider point or a criticism, I was just genuinely interested. Squad sizes are so much bigger these days and more short term loan players which must also affect things.

Rosencrantz

We were obviously much poorer then, but I still imagine in most seasons a player would have got to 7?

This wasn't meant to be a wider point or a criticism, I was just genuinely interested. Squad sizes are so much bigger these days and more short term loan players which must also affect things.
Reece got 7 league goals this season, matched by Alan Gow being our top scorer in 2013/14 with 7 also.

For Fred, the lowest top scorer in the 80's was in 85/86 with Tony Kellow getting 9 league goals which he followed up the next season with 15. Although we were poor during the mid 80's, Ray Pratt was quite prolific relatively speaking with 16 goals in 83/84 and 19 in 84/85. After Kellow, Dean Edwards and Brendon O'Connell both hit double figures in 87/88, 12 and 11 respectively before Rowbotham took over.

However Fred is right that in the 90's, the 95/96 season saw Mark Cooper topping the scoring charts with just 6 league goals. So it has been worse. Our worst ever season, 94/95, saw Mike Cecere top score with 10.

Last edited:

Rosencrantz

Idly flicking through the ECFC bible I can see that 1967/68 season also saw John Corr top score in the league with 7 goals. We do match the 6 goal top scorer record and even have a 4 goal top scorer but as they came in 1906/7 and 1905/6 season respectively when we played in the Plymouth & District League and only had a 24 game season and 12 game season that seems harsh, especially on Tipping who scored his 6 goals in 5 games in 1906/7 🙂.

fred binneys head

I love Exeweb.

Tim Long

Rosencrantz

Grecian Max

I much prefer the concept of having several goal threats in the squad and sharing the responsibility around
That's all well and good but we only scored 46 goals with a GD of -15