• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Start 2014-2015 Season

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
When the fixtures were announced they weren't kind to us with regards to the first few fixtures with regards to potential points (good for gate income though)- ex premiership, local rivals who were making signings and strengthening their squad, and beaten play off finalists, in the first three together with a cup match against an up and coming championship side. Things weren't going to be easy especially with our embargo, the trip to Brazil and subsequent sickness that followed, and all the other turmoil which has been associated with the club. I had anticipated nil points after the first three matches so I am happy with one at the moment.

After two matches and one cup match we have all the doom and gloom merchants predicting relegation never to return etc. etc., an inquest into the manager's contract which was signed six years ago and at the time used to try and protect the club's position, and which no one knows the content of only can speculate on, a huge thread on a man who lived his live by the rules except when they were to be applied to him, and being fuelled by three of his supporters.

This early on in the season we need to focus on the more positive aspects of the club such as, the youth, the 1931ers and their need to raise some more funds, the Trust waking up and starting to act positively. We need to put our energy's into something which we can effect such as the Trust elections which are due shortly, or even making a donation to Alan's 1931 (£19 per month is less than a fiver a week, less then a packet of cigarettes).

And yes we can debate whether it was worth going to Brazil, but this is something that we have to be proud of and we did need to celebrate the fact, it only happens once every hundred years!

As MalcS has continually said you can't make an assessment on the season until at least two months of or ten matches have been played so let's see how we fare against the standard teams of the league over the coming months before relegation predictions - strange being an Exeter City supporter we never predict promotion as quickly as we do relgation!

Pete Martin (CTID)

Very well known Exeweb poster
Grecian-near-hell......a contender for post of the year that one. You have it all spot on. An excellent assessment!

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Agree with The OP and Pete.

Terryhall

Well said that man (y)

AlanDevlin

What would really help would be for the board to find a charismatic replacement for the enterprisingly inept dullard of a retired Local Government Officer the Club have just ejected.

Someone who can realise that there is more to the club than ensuring wages and other expenses don't exceed gate receipts.... someone who can see that investing in a couple of young players who haven't made the grade with Premiership clubs can make some viable income as well as make telling contributions on the field - which in turn helps attendance revenues.... and someone who can see that there are wider possibilities to bring money into the club beyond relying on Trust handouts.

memoman

Well-known Exeweb poster
I agree that 8 or so games are needed for an indication of how the season will go, but what's worried me so far is how we've been outclassed in every game.

Forget Burton, who are very strong this season, the big test will be York at home on Saturday.

Lager Lout

Well-known Exeweb poster
The thing is, you can make an assessment because the past three games have been a continuation of last season and the season before that and even the season before that. At the same time our squad is arguably getting weaker season on season.

So far this season - two home games, 1 goal and no wins. One away game, wrong tactics/personell and a thrashing (and no goals). It is all so frighteningly familiar.

Granted it was not the kindest set of opening fixtures, but you have to play these games at some point. Our squad has changed, the opposition changes, but the same tired and failing tactics remain. Something has to change. If not Tisdale, then at least his tactics.

LL

grecian109

Extremely nervous in the final third - if we can manage a few goals and a good win i expect confidence will vastly improve amongst the lads and results will come. With a bit of confidence in the final third I think we can be dangerous just need to get that win and get the points building up.

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
The first 3 games have been tough , no doubt - we have played a team likely to be promoted and one with a good chance of getting into the playoffs in the league and a club currently top of the championship...

but this has been happening for 3 years now not 3 games and thats why there is so much negativity around.

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
Agreed, I think the negativity is warranted as of now. Of course if we can go and pick up two wins this week, or even four points then I will be quite happy to feel a bit more positive.