• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

St Thomas 70s & 80s nostaligia fest

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
OK mate

15 all then......your serve.
...:D....

The 7-00am bus from Starcross.Then the walk from the bus station down to Haven Rd..8-00am 'start' In the canteen till 9-30..Usually a brew in the first property we visited..Those were the days...:D...

iscalad

Red and White Zider

Well-known Exeweb poster

Last edited:

iscalad

Its all on the Exeter Memories website Isca :)
My memory isn't what it was. :$

Red and White Zider

Well-known Exeweb poster
Go onto that website and some might come 'flooding' back!

Mr Bridger

The fair used to set up on that demolished land at the bottom of Cowick Street.

Oldsmobile-88

The fair used to set up on that demolished land at the bottom of Cowick Street.
That land was empty for at least 15 years...I doubt if prime real estate would be left that long these days..

Oldsmobile-88

...:D.....& you were calling me senile..;)

Park Garage & Diamond Motors..Now where the new flats are being built opposite the church......Nearly bought a Triumph Stag from Diamond Motors circa 1981,but i was ****** around by the owner on the PX price of my 2000e Cortina...The Stag was orange & i have never had one to this day...

Last edited:

Red Alert

The cake shop where Underhills is was a favorite.

The Pickled onion Factory next to Cowick Street school.... the smell was great!

Last edited:

IBA

Okay I'm going on a trip down memory lane, I'm starting from Cowick lane, opposite the old Newgate Nursery and approaching the lights, accross the road from me in the First and Last never went in there, but held a strange fascination .
On my left is Dunsford Hill for some reason we never referred to this as Dunsford Road. I'm now crossing towards John Stocker School which at the time had various full of character/eccentric lollipop persons operating at that time. (Mrs Murlie?) Now safely across I'm going past Courtney Butcher's and Margetts Fish & Chips in Buddle Lane (which was never our chippie of choice) , I'm now crossing the road again to Stan Lethbridges
to buy some Punk trading cards (Stan big smiling Devonian) , I'm pausing at the Tasty Plaice our chippie of choice and would be given free gribbles on a Thursday night after Boys Brigade by the Mark Hutchinson's Mum.
I then head into the Tuck Shop which served sweets and importantly the latest Topps football Trading cards with the bright pink brittle chewing gum in them.
I'm now looking at the window of Piles toy and bike shop which sold plenty of metal based soldiers and used to display bikes in front of 'holey' hardboard display.(which I think is still used by the off-license which is in it's place) I've crossed over to the new flats (can't remember what was there before) and I've crossed over to the new allotments in old the bombsite waste ground before you get to Cowick street first school, I've gone past the electricians (which seemed to actually in the school building itself) opposite the methodist Church.
I decided to pop in Gregory's newsagents to purchase Roy of The Rovers,
before running down the Barton Road alleyway next to the Health Centre taking in wafts of that unmistakable Ede's pickled onion smell. I've then decided to spend the remainder of my pocket money on Fruit Salads, Black Jacks, and white mice on the old 'Arkwright style' Grocers/sweet shop on the cortner of Barton Road/Churchill road before running up the hill home
with no money left but a smile on my face.