• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

St Pauli Song

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
This song is really "I will follow him," an old gospel song. I remember Little Peggy March having a no. 1 hit with it back in 1963. Here's one of many later versions on utube:-

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=utube+I+will+follow+him&docid=1353143943693&&mid=76B02CDA6AF96BD8AA9376B02CDA6AF96BD8AA93&FORM=LKVR8#

Thames Valley Red

Did you have a mid-life crush on the dishy lady singer...Rightwing...we need to know!

UTC

TVR

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
Did you have a mid-life crush on the dishy lady singer...Rightwing...we need to know!

UTC

TVR
Honestly I've just seen her for the first time tonight - have only run it through ten times!

Thames Valley Red

Honestly I've just seen her for the first time tonight - have only run it through ten times!
Quality you just go easy, might need the old interweb site for the old (ahem) blue friends!

greenawayr

This song is really "I will follow him," an old gospel song. I remember Little Peggy March having a no. 1 hit with it back in 1963. Here's one of many later versions on utube:-

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=utube+I+will+follow+him&docid=1353143943693&&mid=76B02CDA6AF96BD8AA9376B02CDA6AF96BD8AA93&FORM=LKVR8#
Stuck out here in the antipodes with limited data, I can only assume that's the same song used in the Whoopi Goldberg smash hit movie, Sister Act.

Losing it's machismo rapidly.

Red and White Zider

Well-known Exeweb poster
The St Pauli song worked a treat but my one minor criticism if there had to be one was at times it was sung too fast. I started it a couple of times last night at the slowish pace ive seen it done in the youtube clips and before I knew it the boys to my right were already halfway through it singing it as if it was a race. Young'uns please start off chants slowly then steadily build up the pace as it works so much better. ;) :)

Last edited:

ECFC Steve

Easily my favourite "ultra" song, once it has been sung a few times at home, I'm sure people will start to catch on to it.

AndyB

The St Pauli song worked a treat but my one minor criticism if there had to be one was at times it was sung too fast. I started it a couple of times last night at the slowish pace ive seen it done in the youtube clips and before I knew it the boys to my right were already halfway through it singing it as if it was a race. Young'uns please start off chants slowly then steadily build up the pace as it works so much better. ;) :)
Yep, can never understand why the youngsters have to sing the songs so fast, and I don't actually think that there are many songs that need to get quicker as you sing them. They should be sung at the same pace.

Maybe it is up to us older fans to try to make sure we keep the songs sung at the right speed. The slow singing of "When the Reds go Marching in" last Saturday worked a treat.

We also need to make sure we all stand together at Bramall Lane and are not spread out as has happened at a few of the earlier away games this season.

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
I often think that songs sung slowly have more impact. 'You'll never walk alone' is one case in point. The elder statesmen who can remember the FA Cup Finals of the 1950s and 60s will certainly recall the impact of 'Abide with me.' Often players playing in the Final would be so moved that they would come out of the tunnel early just to hear it .

Grecian_Jay

Very well known Exeweb poster
I find that if you just continue with the slow pace then they eventually catch on. Happened a number of times Saturday and Tuesday that the kids went off on one at 100mph but then they heard us still dragging it out and eventually realised what was going on.

Thye can't keep in tune with "We're the red and white army" even when it is being played on the Tannoy so it is a big ask to be fair.