• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

St James Park where next?

crossfox

Now we are in div 1 is sjp good enough to go further?

i know its early days to think we will storm through the division but what if.... a season of hard work and promotion, to be told your ground aint good enough. Where do we go from there?

Realistically mid-table would be ok giving the team a chance to take stock of past couple of seasons, but when does the time come to say, where are we going to put a new ground, epansion of sjp is just about exhausted unless some houses are demolished. i know the idea was flirted with a while back but nothing could be agreed with council and as normal money was a huge problem.

The work announced on away end and eventually old stand is needed in my opinion just to get ground up to a reasonable standard for div 1. how far ahead do you look, a new ground is a big thing to embark on when you dont know if div 1 survival is possible but what if has to be considered and soon.

Has anyone any ideas, has the club looked at any plan in this direction? (i hope so)

Saint James

Now we are in div 1 is sjp good enough to go further?

i know its early days to think we will storm through the division but what if.... a season of hard work and promotion, to be told your ground aint good enough. Where do we go from there?

Realistically mid-table would be ok giving the team a chance to take stock of past couple of seasons, but when does the time come to say, where are we going to put a new ground, epansion of sjp is just about exhausted unless some houses are demolished. i know the idea was flirted with a while back but nothing could be agreed with council and as normal money was a huge problem.

The work announced on away end and eventually old stand is needed in my opinion just to get ground up to a reasonable standard for div 1. how far ahead do you look, a new ground is a big thing to embark on when you dont know if div 1 survival is possible but what if has to be considered and soon.

Has anyone any ideas, has the club looked at any plan in this direction? (i hope so)
You're about 18 months to 2 years out of date in bringing this up. Serious question but have you been in hospital or at sea not to have noticed the 20 or so threads related to this topic since the Drivers Jonas Report was published?

ECFC TOM

since the Drivers Jonas Report was published?
The what? No-one told me about this.

crossfox

yes i have been out of it for some time or at least computer less for a while sorry.

Hammer44

You're about 18 months to 2 years out of date in bringing this up. Serious question but have you been in hospital or at sea not to have noticed the 20 or so threads related to this topic since the Drivers Jonas Report was published?

I think that is a bit hard to be honest! 18 months 2 years ageo we were in the Conference and wasn't so much of an issue. We have to remember we get new members on here who might not know all the issues that have been raised. Ok maybe people should try and look at the threads a bit more but things are moving at ST James Park at a quick rate of Knotts at the moment so bring it on!!

Lager Lout

Well-known Exeweb poster
Layer Road, Glanford Park, Gresty Road and the Withdean Stadium have all hosted Championship football.

I think lil' ol' SJP will be fine.

LL

crossfox

ok read report, November 2007! what has happened since then ? city are two divisions higher, money is probably about the same, i would guess ground costs have changed. what options are still available to the club? shouldnt this be revisited?

Lister

If you do a bit more research (thisisexeter.co.uk) you should fine some stuff from about a month ago. News was a bit vague then, but mentions knocking down the OG, sorting out the away end and getting capacity up to 15-20k. The OG would be replaced by a privately funded stand, possibly Uni accomodation underneath for instance.

If anything promotion came a year or two too early, bloody Tisdale lol

Pete Martin (CTID)

Very well known Exeweb poster
Just because we will now be up against teams with "classy" grounds and stadiums it doesn't mean we can't compete at that level on equal terms - in fact in some ways our tight, compact little ground (likely to be so even after redevelopment) could be quite intimidating to these "big boys", expecially if full to bursting point.

Anyway...just think...it could have been the Daggers joining us...next year it could be Accrington...or Morecambe. They have bigger problems than we do in terms of facilties.

Scission

SJP - not so tight and compact as you may think...
SJP pitch = 114 yards by 73, in comparison...
Anfield = 111 x 74
Old Trafford = 114 x 74
White Hart Lane = 110 x 73
The Reebok = 110 x 70
&
Maccelsfield = 100 x 60 now thats tight.