• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Sports tv rights thread

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
We have an EFL Highlights rights thread, but thought it would be good to have a general thread for TV Sports rights. Mostly because I am a little sad and partly because I have a firm believe in the power of FTA TV with sport.

Currently the EFL Highlights package is available for next season. I Would personally love to see that pack go with some live rights, maybe 10 championship matches and a match from each round of the league cup including the final would be my preference and also the FA FTA Pack is up for grabs following the FA's terrible decision to give the rights to TNT.

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
I'm pleased the BBC has rights to major athletics. My 2nd favourite sport.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster

Big deal for the EFL International rights. Worth an extra 40% and a minimum of £150m

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster

Reports that the BBC Have won the FTA Rights to the FA Cup after next season, 2 matches per round, 1 semi final and final, alongside a highlights package. Still for me a real shame the FA sold to TNT Sports and didn't retain the complete FTA coverage that we have had since 2021-22, which for me was a really good move for the FA Cup

Stelios

Big deal for the EFL International rights. Worth an extra 40% and a minimum of £150m
I don't understand how those things work. I just can't see there being much interest in the EFL but then again I know nothing about broadcasting rights

Stelios

Reports that the BBC Have won the FTA Rights to the FA Cup after next season, 2 matches per round, 1 semi final and final, alongside a highlights package. Still for me a real shame the FA sold to TNT Sports and didn't retain the complete FTA coverage that we have had since 2021-22, which for me was a really good move for the FA Cup
Yes I've really enjoyed the FA cup the last few years on BBC/ITV and watched loads of matches I wouldn't normally be bothered to watch simply because they were there (enjoyed them too). I don't have TNT so won't watch. Just like the 'Champions League' which I haven't watched since it left ITV.

The sad thing is one of the matches every round will have to include Man Utd like they did before ......... 🙄 And they'd rather show all Premier league ties (with weakened sides) than lower league clubs

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster

BBC to screen Scotland friendlies against Northern Ireland and Finland.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster

TNT Secure Premiership rugby rights. No word on whether any FTA Rights will coincide with this deal.

lamrobhero

I have a particular interest that I follow on youtube. I was very surprised when out of the blue a person that I follow started raving about Wrexham. Maybe the Wrexham TV programme in the US is having an impact.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster

The Telegraph reporting that some Free to air rights will still be available from Rugby Unions Premiership!