• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Smoke Grenade

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I love their use of the word "miscreant"...
He's only a miscreant until he's charged.

Do we know if City and Carlisle are likely to be charged for misconduct for Saturday's incident?

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
He's only a miscreant until he's charged.
How so? My Oxford Dictionary defines "miscreant" as "A person who has done something wrong or unlawful". It originally meant an unbeliever.

The Cambridge online dictionary says "someone who ​behaves ​badly or does not ​obey ​rules"... or "(mainly Indian English) a ​criminal"

It seems very archaic these days, except in India where they seem to love old fashioned words like "rascal", "ragamuffin" and "ruffian". I enjoy reading the Indian newspapers when I'm there, to be reminded of words that are now out of fashion in England.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I guess Argyle are being cautious in their language until he's charged.

Terryhall

Do we know if City and Carlisle are likely to be charged for misconduct for Saturday's incident?
Have been digging into the FA rules and the closest recent example I could find was this link - http://www.thefa.com/~/media/files/thefaportal/governance-docs/discipline-cases/2015 part 2/the-fa-v-aston-villa-fc---13-april-2015.ashx (opens a PDF) which is much broader ranging but does include use of an incendiary device which seems to relate to a couple of flares being set off in the home end during a Villa v West Brom match in the FA Cup from March 2015. In that case, Villa got the maximum possible sanction of £250k, reduced by £50k for having admitted the charges.

I would say that there is potential for some kind of charge against both clubs - against Carlisle because it was their fan who brought the device, and against Exeter because although the stewards acted superbly once the device was set off, the FA might see it that they could (or should) have had searches in place to stop the thing being brought into the ground in the first place. Hard to say without seeing some kind of guidance document which side the FA would come down on this but I would hope that since an arrest has been made, with strong statements from both clubs and the football league, and that ultimately nobody was hurt, that the FA wouldn't pursue their own charge against either club.

found this on stadium safety - the answer will almost certainly be in one of the PDFs at the bottom of this page but I'm going to struggle for time to dig through it myself until later on... http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/more/stadium-safety

Last edited:

citydrinker

2 minute hobble from the nearest pub. Or in it.
Charmed I'm sure.
A perfect reposte Geoff. No offence mean't , it just seems slightly odd to be singing from the same hymn sheet as you. Cheers.

grecianexiled28

The fact of the matter is, is that if it was a smoke grenade, then that should have been checked before a hastily called evacuation and panicking everyone, people on here can compare this to Bradford if they like, but that only got so out of hand because alot of victims were mostly drunk and Elderly and they had no evac procedures in place!! when I first heard the news of the GS on fire, I thought it was an insurance job as that's how ridiculous this club is run sometimes!!

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
:D got to agree, any chance to condemn something and vultures circle. I can see what he meant, I am not mortally offended.
But you probably haven't got a brother who's a fire officer Max! ;-)

To avoid any doubt, I'm in complete agreement, the reaction to Credy's post has been ridiculously OTT. It scarcely credible to me that a lot of people are more outraged by what was, clearly, a tongue-in-cheek post on here than the fact for five or six minutes on Saturday no-one, apparently, had much of a clue what was going on. If geoffwp's brother who is a fire officer wants to get upset about anything I'd suggest that's a far more deserving cause for his concern.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
All the super-seriousness, policing of light-heartedness, references to Bradford and Lynch-mob mentality makes me feel a bit uncomfortable. The melodrama in the Plymouth Herald article actually strays into being offensive, in my opinion.

It was a pain in the arse etc and caused a big delay, but was there actually any danger at any point? Was anyone actually scared for their safety? The real scandal here is how much of a cluster****** the response was. The club should be releasing statements about learning lessons, not throwing books.

Bittners a Legend

I'd like to echo the above points. The alarm went off for a good four minutes before anybody did anything about it. The tannoy was not audible at all. The stewards clearly didn't know how to react - or did and failed to adhere to protocol. Luckily it wasn't a serious incident but if the club know the tannoy doesn't work and have done nothing about it then they are, metaphorically, playing with fire and Julian Tagg and co have a lot to answer for. I know that there are Trust Board members who post/read on here - please could one of them confirm that the Trust is taking this issue up with the Club? Deeply troubling - certainly far more so than a tongue in cheek comment from Credy that has got those who love to take offence up in arms.

Fareham Grecian

Yep, me too Bitts. Many people have posted in here about the tannoy for years, and often mused how it would work out if there was an emergency. Well now we've had one - turned out not to be real/serious, but nobody knew that at the time. This should be top priority at the club.

And again as others have said, I can't believe SJP is not subject to some sort of inspection regime?? Genuinely worrying.