• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

SJP redevelopment Plan A/B discussion

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Never quite understood this TBH John

Is this in law or is it ECFC ruling ? Mike Cashley has been seen with a pint in his hand at Newcastle United.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
It's the law, the Sporting Events (Control of Alcohol etc) Act 1985.

http://www.safetyatsportsgrounds.org.uk/advice/faqs/sporting-events-act-1985

What the fat man of Newcastle gets away with...

Last edited:

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster

Interesting...I notice it only applies down to Conf National level..Been to Truro & Weymouth & had a beer watching the game.Very civilised it is too..

Oldsmobile-88

The problem is as always,a sledgehammer was used to crack a nut..The backlash of the events leading up to the nadir of 1984/85 lead to that,though I have never seem alcohol sold at SJP in the ground as I had at other grounds before that date.
The main issue was fans getting steamed up on booze on transport,official or unofficial going to away games.
That was the real issue that needed to be addressed,rather than in the ground,hence the nonsense of not being able to see the pitch if you have a can of ale in your hand..

Colesman Ballz

The problem is as always,a sledgehammer was used to crack a nut..The backlash of the events leading up to the nadir of 1984/85 lead to that,though I have never seem alcohol sold at SJP in the ground as I had at other grounds before that date.
The main issue was fans getting steamed up on booze on transport,official or unofficial going to away games.
That was the real issue that needed to be addressed,rather than in the ground,hence the nonsense of not being able to see the pitch if you have a can of ale in your hand..
Of course this yet another legacy of that bleddy witch Thatcher. As I recall didn't she also wanted to force all fans to register with their clubs in order to buy a ticket, and then of course you would have only have been able to watch home games, as away and neutral fans would have been banned. Presumably if she had got her way, then you could have had the ridiculous scenario of the Cup Final being played in an empty Wembley Stadium !

Of course it only applies to football stadiums, not to rugby, cricket, etc !

Last edited:

Colesman Ballz

Never quite understood this TBH John

Is this in law or is it ECFC ruling ? Mike Cashley has been seen with a pint in his hand at Newcastle United.
I remember being entertained in an Executive box at White Hart Lane in the Klinsman era. We were just told to keep our drinks down and out of sight during the match !

IndoMike

I expect the wrath of Exeweb fannage to fall upon me, but I never could understand why a football fan would want to drink a beer at a football match. Do you drink it from a plastic cup (ugh!) or from a plastic bottle or what? And what happens when suddenly there is an exciting moment (which is so often the case at the Park). Do thousands of fans leap up simultaneously with their beer shooting all over the place? After the match it is very nice to sit in a cosy pub and partake in a few jars, but why is it so vital during a match?

DanceMagnet

Not that long ago, I attended a Germany v England game in Berlin. The Germans allowed drinking during the game. The mindless yobs then decided it was fun to lob the plastic glasses, whether empty or not, forward onto England fans below. The result was 2 pretty serious head injuries to youngsters and a number of people getting soaked with beer. I confronted a group behind me when I caught them lobbing glasses, as the police seemed prepared to just let it happen, only to receive a number of threats.

Sadly, it ruined the day for a lot of people and there were numerous complaints on the forum on our return.

Avening Posse

I expect the wrath of Exeweb fannage to fall upon me, but I never could understand why a football fan would want to drink a beer at a football match. Do you drink it from a plastic cup (ugh!) or from a plastic bottle or what? And what happens when suddenly there is an exciting moment (which is so often the case at the Park). Do thousands of fans leap up simultaneously with their beer shooting all over the place? After the match it is very nice to sit in a cosy pub and partake in a few jars, but why is it so vital during a match?
I watch Aussie rules over here, very family orientated and very friendly, and loads drink a beer or two watching the game. Fantastic on a sunny day. Leg room better so walking to get one doesn't annoy everybody else in your row. Massive cultural difference to attending this though, the tribal stuff just isn't there.

PeteUSA

I couldnt agree more Mike. Why on earth do fans at St James Park have the need to drink beer throughout 90 minutes of football? I take it that the beverage sold to fans is in a plastic cup? Its acceptable after a match to go into the St James Centre and buy beer served in a proper fashion, but drinking it while watching a game, or even at half time seems ludicrous to me. Further than that; whats with the catering? Why do fans have to buy something to eat at half time or during a game? Cant they have a good meal before leaving home instead of purchasing an expensive undersized pasty? I just dont get it!