• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Should Exeter City remain a fan-owned club?

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
If we are going to move up the divisions then I think we should look at how Bournemouth and Swansea have achieved it but stay fan owned.
But that is just it, They didn't do it as fans owned clubs.

Copernicus

But that is just it, They didn't do it as fans owned clubs.
And have a far bigger catchment.

Imagine City made it to the Premiershite, what could we expect as an average attendance, 10-15K?

Yes, I know the "smaller" clubs can survive without any fans and live off TV money, but when they finally go down and the dosh is squandered/stolen/mis-spent they struggle.

City can move up but the people of Exeter/Devon need to turn up at the turnstiles and put their hard earned down.

And that is the bottom line.

Fan owned or Berty Big Balls owned, to move up the divisions and stay there needs bums on seats (or feet on the Big Bank) and that number is limited by the size of the population.

Last edited:

DB9

And have a far bigger catchment.

Imagine City made it to the Premiershite, what could we expect as an average attendance, 10-15K?

Yes, I know the "smaller" clubs can survive without any fans and live off TV money, but when they finally go down and the dosh is squandered/stolen/mis-spent they struggle.

City can move up but the people of Exeter/Devon need to turn up at the turnstiles and put their hard earned down.
Your second sentence sums up Bournmouth, Their ground can only hold 12k? and when they do go down they really could struggle because being in the EFL with a PL squad never adds up to happiness. If we went up that far, The decision about SJP would rear its head and i do think a lot in the S West would watch PL footie live (Much as it grates on me) but in the end to get that far will need more than Trust subs, It would need millions to even have a sniff of getting there.

squiz

Why should the people of Exeter be consulted?
I have supported City for nigh on 50 years & have never lived within 10 miles of Exeter For 23 years I was in the Army so was all over the world. I am a trust member so surely it is up to someone to put an offer to the Trust if they want to buy the trust shares. But what would be their motivation to buy the club, to put money in or take it out?

Copernicus

Please don't get me wrong, I have supported City, through thin and even thinner, since 1978, I want them to get to the Champions league and win it just as much as every other Red Blooded Grecian, but having seen us struggle for so many years and finally get to a sustainable (CV19 excepted) model I understand our limitations as a region.

Andy Holloway

Very good. I actually said our potential is to be a sustainable Championship side within 10 years. I imagine the Trust's shares are worth next to zero. The club is loss-making, doesn't own hardly anything and has a load of liabilities.
Then why aren't the multi millionaires lining up all the way down Old Tiverton Rd, into Sidwell St and across into High St to purchase ECFC?

DB9

Why should the people of Exeter be consulted?
I have supported City for nigh on 50 years & have never lived within 10 miles of Exeter For 23 years I was in the Army so was all over the world. I am a trust member so surely it is up to someone to put an offer to the Trust if they want to buy the trust shares. But what would be their motivation to buy the club, to put money in or take it out?
Wouldn't worry squiz, No one would buy City to take money out, We don't own anything to sell! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Grecian2K

We don't own anything to sell! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Not even the next generation of youngsters coming up through our (much admired) youth system?

DB9

Not even the next generation of youngsters coming up through our (much admired) youth system?
Not until they reach 16-18?

Copernicus

In fact, sad as it is, I could see us suddenly finding ourselves in L1 with no L2 below us and a handful of current Chamioship clubs gone by the end of this crisis.
I fear that football in England will be a changed landscape after the summer :(:(