• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Scottish football.

Martin Weiler

I tend the often watch the Scottish league highlights on YouTube during the week (have done for the past season or so) love seeing the different unique grounds clubs have through out the 3 leagues below the SPL, it’s about 30 mins long but covers all of the 3 leagues below the SPL no pundits or analysis just brief highlights of the games.

Occasionally watch a live SPL game when I get the time or there’s one I fancy watching on tv

hopeful of one day getting to Scotland to visit some of these great grounds they have over the country.
Thoroughly recommend visiting Scotland Ex-ciderrr. I have recently completed ‘The 42’ - that is seeing a game at each of the 42 SPFL club grounds. As you say there are some absolute treasures including ECFC - Elgin City Football Club. Some classic old League grounds are sadly now non- league eg Albion Rovers, Cowdenbeath and Brechin but exploring the non-league grounds is a joy too. Sorry Olds - still got to get to Fort William though.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
I tend the often watch the Scottish league highlights on YouTube during the week (have done for the past season or so) love seeing the different unique grounds clubs have through out the 3 leagues below the SPL, it’s about 30 mins long but covers all of the 3 leagues below the SPL no pundits or analysis just brief highlights of the games.

Occasionally watch a live SPL game when I get the time or there’s one I fancy watching on tv

hopeful of one day getting to Scotland to visit some of these great grounds they have over the country.
Whilst I personally have little interest in Scottish football, You maybe interested to know that BBC Scotland show a match from the championship on Friday evenings (I think 20 per season)

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Thoroughly recommend visiting Scotland Ex-ciderrr. I have recently completed ‘The 42’ - that is seeing a game at each of the 42 SPFL club grounds. As you say there are some absolute treasures including ECFC - Elgin City Football Club. Some classic old League grounds are sadly now non- league eg Albion Rovers, Cowdenbeath and Brechin but exploring the non-league grounds is a joy too. Sorry Olds - still got to get to Fort William though.
When I visited Queen of the South’s Palmerstone Park in 2006 it reminded me of SJP. A old Grandstand of similar design, a cantilever seated stand opposite, a covered home end & small uncovered away end.

Martin, did you visit Firs Park, the home of East Stirlingshire before their move to Stenhousemuir ?

Martin Weiler

When I visited Queen of the South’s Palmerstone Park in 2006 it reminded me of SJP. A old Grandstand of similar design, a cantilever seated stand opposite, a covered home end & small uncovered away end.

Martin, did you visit Firs Park, the home of East Stirlingshire before their move to Stenhousemuir ?
No, never saw a match there. But did walk all around the still undeveloped Firs Park a few years back so got an idea, together with old photographs, of what it was like. They now groundshare with Falkirk.

Oldsmobile-88

No, never saw a match there. But did walk all around the still undeveloped Firs Park a few years back so got an idea, together with old photographs, of what it was like. They now groundshare with Falkirk.
I managed to get there for a midweeker against Berwick in 2005. I turned up at 6.30pm just to have a look around & was promptly propositioned by a female from one of council flats beside the entrance 😁 It was tipping with heavy rain, I was worried about a P-P, spoke to a official who said “Nay bother it will be on” 190 hardy souls there that evening inc about 50 from Berwick who annoyed the locals with their Union & Cross of St George flags.
I got taken to the pub by a few Shire fans who asked where I was from, they thought me mad for making the journey(i’d always been fascinated by the club after reading a chapter about them in the book Soccer in the Dock)
Totally wrecked at the end of the drinking session, I’d forgotten what my hotel name was & where it was except it was on the outskirts of Falkirk, so had a Taxi driver visit the hotels in the area until I recognised mine 🤣. It was a great evening with those supporters.
The boast of the Shire supporters & tannoy man was there was only one club in Falkirk because after Falkirk FC moved from Brockville their new ground was outside the town boundary & near Grangemouth.

david61

Remember years ago taking an interest in East Fife for some reason. Anyway next week it's the classic East Fife v. Forfar Athletic, wonder if it'll be 5-4 or 4-5...

just checked, there was Forfar 5 East Fife 4 back in 1964...

Last edited:

Oldsmobile-88

Remember years ago taking an interest in East Fife for some reason. Anyway next week it's the classic East Fife v. Forfar Athletic, wonder if it'll be 5-4 or 4-5...

The Fifers made travelling Grecians feel very welcome at New Bayview for a PSF in late July 2015.

Martin Weiler

I was actually present for an East Fife 4 Forfar 5 game in 2018; albeit on penalties.

david61

Whilst I personally have little interest in Scottish football, You maybe interested to know that BBC Scotland show a match from the championship on Friday evenings (I think 20 per season)
Stirling Univ v. Albion Rovers bbc website etc tonight, Scottish Cup.

iscalad

Rubbish in Europe as usual.