• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ryan Harley to join City....

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Why should footballers be treated any differently edwin than any other trades people, contract = obligation,non contract = non obligation.
Because the dynamics of football are completely different from other trades. Footballers are assets to clubs in a different way to staff being assets in 'normal' trades, and the way footballers are invested in by clubs is also very different.

You don't get insurance companies hiring kids aged 13 and investing in their development years before they can become an insurance broker, do you? Football clubs are always gambling on players 'for the future' with the idea that they will contribute literally nothing to the club for a year or two.

If you had a situation where, for example, there were no transfer fees... players just had to give a months notice, like in most trades, you would find the investment that clubs were prepared to make in young players dissapears very rapidly.

Put simply, investment in coaching players relies on the idea of a player as an asset. This can only be the case if their freedom to switch employers is restricted. It is restricted a lot more than in most trades, but in my opinion, the Bosman ruling has not been a positive for football. Maybe this isn't the best thread to discuss this on though, as we're going off topic.

caskey

He likes the old free kicks. Top drawer one at Yeovil last season in the paint pot.

You lot have got yourselves a top player there. I hope you are grateful for Lord Tisdale's nurturing?
To be honest the way you lot carry on about Harley i expected someone a bit special at dead ball situations. He hasn't disappointed.

My only concern was that he has never played at this level. Hopefully he will be a fans favorite like Noone and Lualua

Well-known Exeweb poster
It is the same scenario with any trainee anywhere, invest in training and eventually maybe you will have a functioning staff member. Agreed with footie the length of training can be slightly longer, but if a kid shows potential and moves oner 2 a bigger club can get reasonably well, aka ellis, compensated. The 'different' dynamics are created by football clubs greed and 'an frankly unhealthy 'I MUST have now' culture. The fault is not in the employment law, it's in the football industry itself.

Borat

To be honest the way you lot carry on about Harley i expected someone a bit special at dead ball situations. He hasn't disappointed.

My only concern was that he has never played at this level. Hopefully he will be a fans favorite like Noone and Lualua
Not the first time he's done that....(Although I would say the one today was better)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqjhQzzgEHg

;)

caskey

Not the first time he's done that....(Although I would say the one today was better)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqjhQzzgEHg

;)
Do you think he is worth more than 250k or is that a fair price ?

Borat

hmmm hard to say in this new price market (blame the premiership). I would say £350k-£500k would be fair price. He does drift in and out of games, so be warned ;)

Well-known Exeweb poster
You've got 2 be the best judge of that mate, but from our perspective, he IMO and quite a few others on here. in

the top half a dozen players that have played for city in the last 40 years.

Last edited:

caskey

I watched the Yeovil free kick and it was good. I think this one beats it and i'm not being biased.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SgDBL5iaxg&feature=player_embedded#

Last edited:

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
I watched the Yeovil free kick and it was good. I think this one beats it and i'm not being biased.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SgDBL5iaxg&feature=player_embedded#
Just typical Ryan Harley class.

LOG

Very well known Exeweb poster
'Ere, caskey.

Have you ever seen this one which LuaLua scored against us in the FA Youth Cup when he was about 8?