• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ryan Harley to join City....

geoffwp

Very well known Exeweb poster
I think it's a real shame for Ryan, in a way he is a victim of Swans success. If they hadn't created that bit of history for themselves I think he would have stood a very good chance of being involved. This could still be the making of him though and i very much hope it will be. Though I would love to see him back with us I don't think it would be a good move for him or our club. Never look back, always look forward.

older-codger

This has been stated so many times HE DID NOT WANT TO SIGN FOR BRIGHTON. As he was a free agent City could not force him to join them and you don't know what the offer even was.
I am well aware of what went on at the time. Why do you think he did not want to sign for Brighton? I think you'll find that was only what was said on here. Say something often enough on Exeweb and people will believe it.

Whatever the offer was, it was money. If he didn't want to sign for a club that was bound for promotion to the Championship from a club that was likely to stay in League 1, then why would he want to sign for a Championship club when he is with a Premiership club? Ultimately, money talks and he may well have been able to earn as much as a key member of a Brighton squad as he would get as a peripheral player in the Swansea squad.

I am well aware of what went on at the time. Why do you think he did not want to sign for Brighton? I think you'll find that was only what was said on here. Say something often enough on Exeweb and people will believe it.

Whatever the offer was, it was money. If he didn't want to sign for a club that was bound for promotion to the Championship from a club that was likely to stay in League 1, then why would he want to sign for a Championship club when he is with a Premiership club? Ultimately, money talks and he may well have been able to earn as much as a key member of a Brighton squad as he would get as a peripheral player in the Swansea squad.
Oc, what on earth does this have to do with your original statement? He went to Swansea and if he didn't want to go he would not be there. Money talks and good luck to him, he was fantastic for us. You imply we should of sold him then the waffle above. Anyway keep saying whatever you're saying and someone may understand.....

older-codger

Apologies. I should have known that anyone who thinks Jones is England quality would need words of one syllable. Unfortunately that isn't easy.

To try to simplify:

1. If Harley is prepared to take a step down from the Premiership why would he have not been prepared to take a step up from us to the Championship and to the same club?

2. I said that a move for him to Brighton was not a good move for us. Tis took a gamble - the gamble failed since we may as well have finished mid-table as 8th. If he is going to finish up at Brighton anyway, we may as well have taken the cash which may have boosted the playing budget this season giving us a better squad.

Apologies. I should have known that anyone who thinks Jones is England quality would need words of one syllable. Unfortunately that isn't easy.

To try to simplify:

1. If Harley is prepared to take a step down from the Premiership why would he have not been prepared to take a step up from us to the Championship and to the same club?

2. I said that a move for him to Brighton was not a good move for us. Tis took a gamble - the gamble failed since we may as well have finished mid-table as 8th. If he is going to finish up at Brighton anyway, we may as well have taken the cash which may have boosted the playing budget this season giving us a better squad.

Question of the day: Are you really that stupid?

A - Jones 4 England = Sarcasm, you need a level of intelligence to understand. Being Old is no excuse.
B - He did not want to sign full time for Brighton, why? Who knows but he didn't want to go. Now things change so he is allowed to change his mind.
C - Tis did not take a gamble, go and read the rules! Harley was under contract until end of last year, he DID NOT want to go to Brighton so we can not force him!!! He stayed, Tis got the best out of him until the end of last year. We could not have taken the cash as the player has to sign to leave, he did not want to and do you know what the offer was? We almost made the playoffs and had our best season for many many years.

Go and do some research before you make yourself appear even dumber. You state you maybe on another planet, it is the only thing you type that makes some sense.

FAN-TATIC

I very much doubt either of these is so. Why would they agree a big sell-on for a player on a free and out of contract in 5 months? And if they'd paid all his wages we'd have saved c.£30k from Tis's budget. I'd be very happy if I'm proved wrong, though; time will tell.
I agree John William. Simple senario:

Swansea inform City that they want to sign Harley and could City carry out their obligation to inform Harley and his agent of their interest.

Harley enters into talks with Swansea. They agree a three year contract at say £8k a week. Swansea inform City of Ryan's decision. City say if you want to sign him now we want a sell on agreement. Swansea respond by saying no way! If that's the case we will sign him on a pre. Contract agreement Abd he can remain your player until the end of June. But remember you will be depriving him of about £96k in wages for that period. How do you think he will react to that.

Here's an alternative. We sign him on a free transfer now and loan him back to you wage free until the end if the season. With one proviso, we reserve the right to recall him if we experience injuries to our squad of midfielders. You get a happy well paid player who is more likely to perform for you.

City: We gave a deal!

Last edited:
Very logical the post above. Makes total sense.

What is bonkers, however, is that City lost four of their best players within a few months of each other and haven't received one penny in return. Not many clubs at this level could take that seismic change in their squad without serious fallout. Gonna be a long hard season.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I very much doubt either of these is so. Why would they agree a big sell-on for a player on a free and out of contract in 5 months? And if they'd paid all his wages we'd have saved c.£30k from Tis's budget. I'd be very happy if I'm proved wrong, though; time will tell.
Without sell-ons and Swansea paying his wages, I suspect we might have told Swansea to FRO.

Oh, and the money saved from the budget - Ben Hamer ring any bells?

Wemissstewart

it is sad that we did not get any fees. look at a club like bornemouth who have got loadz in transfers recently. we need to get in more good talent

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
On the other hand, you could say we lost a valued player for virtually nowt to a club who doesn't even f*cking want him. I know that's the way it is and we could do nothing about it, but I think football stinks if small clubs can be ripped off that way. I'm all for players getting the best deal they can, but what about the small clubs like City who spend money (paying coaches) to develop them? The ugly face of capitalism. A fairer system needs to be introduced to help smaller clubs to avoid this stuff.