• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Russia?

11thFoot

Wonder if Chelski will qualify ?

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
I guess his is the same as everybody elses should be.

Africa.
America S&N.
Antarctica.
Asia.
Australia.
Europe.

Forget all that Oceania b*ll*cks.
There are the generally accepted 7 continents, though Australia is interchangeable with Australasia and Oceania.

However there is no technicaly definition of what a continent is and the above list is a convention only. Geographically they are supposed to be continuous landmasses separated by water. That would mean however that continental Europe, Asia and Africa would count as a single land mass. And to further complicate matters you have continental Europe, Australia and US - all of which omit islands which would be part of the conventional continent. You could complicate it even more by judging it by continental shelves, however this would still omit several islands from the conventional continent e.g Madagascar and Iceland. By using various methods you can make a case for anything between four and seven continents.

I have to say if I was in charge I would call the continent Australasia. I'm sure that is what I was taught at school. It distinguishes it from the country Australia and continental Australia.

Ultimately of course this is all pointless and I think I have just wasted a good ten minutes of my life.

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
If the Qatar decision hadn't come about then I could have swallowed Russia but how you can give a country whose population smaller than virtually every decent sized countries capital city with out it smelling badly of some predetermined vote is beyond me. We had the best score on the report about infrastructure and facilities and, by all accounts, we gave by far and away the best presentation today yet we only got two votes and one of them was our bleedin' own.
I'd like to say when Blatter goes eventually then we might get somebody in who can administer world football properly with knowledge of the game (has anybody yet managed to find out what Blatters qualifications are for his current post if indeed he has any?) and common sense. Sadly I fear a certain ex-French captain is going to take his place and his blatherings lead me to believe he is nothing more than Blatters love child and things will continue the way they are now with Platini taking the role of thinking he is some kind of footballing evangalist.
Today's vote was nothing more than a last hurrah of Blatters evangellical ramblings of trying to take football to the world. Doesn't he know football is already a worldwide game with over 200 countries having membership of the organisation he leads.

mammooman

Mordor for 2032
Narnia for 2036
IOW for 2040

grecIAN Harris

I did hear somebody suggest Zimbabwe for 2026.

Poultice

There are the generally accepted 7 continents,
Your first sentence is spot on, you should have left it there cos the rest of your post simply goes to confirm how poor the modern educational system is, there are seven continents per my list, that is all.

ps. Yes I know it is not a sentence.

Last edited:

crocks

Did anyone seriously think that we stood a chance? The world hates the English, we were never going to be able to get the votes required.
Except for the immigrants, political asylum seekers, travellers etc etc who will give up virtually everything that they own to get here.

Strange old world innit....;)

Grecian_Jay

There will be no gays at the footy in 2022...

Red the Paper

Banned
There will be no gays at the footy in 2022...
or Jews or Scots or the green PAFC England flag or indeed any real Quatarians

FAN-TATIC

So FFS why did Fifa waste everyone's time and money in 2009.

Why didn't they just state from the start that they would only accept bids for 2018/2022 from countries that had never staged the WC finals before. That is obviously their preferred option.

Am I being unkind in thinking that back handed bungs from England - no chance ' Qatar and Russia? What would past history indicate!