• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Rugby League

Bridgy 81

I can remember watching rugby league on the television (BBC’s Grandstand I think) when I was growing up but I always felt a bit disconnected from it as there wasn’t any other coverage and no chance of seeing it live where I was.
To be honest I hadn’t thought much more about it since then until my trip to our recent match in Wigan.
I stayed in nearby Warrington for a few days which although only a medium-ish size town has a very decent and modern 15,000+ stadium right in the centre of it, The Halliwell Jones, where Warrington Wolves play.
I had a wander around the outside of the stadium whilst I was there and it’s impressive.
Of course we played that weekend only a few miles from there over at the DW Stadium in Wigan.
Yesterday it was full (24,000+) to watch their team, The Warriors, beat Penrith Panthers from Sydney 16-12 to win the World Club Challenge.
I certainly haven’t and won’t switch my allegiance from the round ball game but rugby league strikes me as a more fast flowing one than the union version, which whenever I’ve watched it recently seems to be often an attritional spectacle not helped by unnecessarily over complicated rules.
Anyway I’ll keep an eye out for Warrington’s games on Sky (I don’t want to follow a team who’re likely to win too frequently).
And I wonder whether Gary’s next pre-season regime for us could include a match-up of some sort against The Wolves of Warrington?
They’ll be slap bang in the middle of their season by then and they’re only a stone’s throw from his neck of the woods in Cheshire.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Ah, Penrith in Australia. I wondered when I saw there was a cup match being shown that Penrith must be doing well for a small town that I didn't think was in League territory! 😳

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
I can remember watching rugby league on the television (BBC’s Grandstand I think) when I was growing up but I always felt a bit disconnected from it as there wasn’t any other coverage and no chance of seeing it live where I was.
To be honest I hadn’t thought much more about it since then until my trip to our recent match in Wigan.
I stayed in nearby Warrington for a few days which although only a medium-ish size town has a very decent and modern 15,000+ stadium right in the centre of it, The Halliwell Jones, where Warrington Wolves play.
I had a wander around the outside of the stadium whilst I was there and it’s impressive.
Of course we played that weekend only a few miles from there over at the DW Stadium in Wigan.
Yesterday it was full (24,000+) to watch their team, The Warriors, beat Penrith Panthers from Sydney 16-12 to win the World Club Challenge.
I certainly haven’t and won’t switch my allegiance from the round ball game but rugby league strikes me as a more fast flowing one than the union version, which whenever I’ve watched it recently seems to be often an attritional spectacle not helped by unnecessarily over complicated rules.
Anyway I’ll keep an eye out for Warrington’s games on Sky (I don’t want to follow a team who’re likely to win too frequently).
And I wonder whether Gary’s next pre-season regime for us could include a match-up of some sort against The Wolves of Warrington?
They’ll be slap bang in the middle of their season by then and they’re only a stone’s throw from his neck of the woods in Cheshire.
The very name of Warrington brings me, and no doubt many other Grecians out in a cold sweat ! I try very hard with little success to expunge the memory of our humiliating FA Cup defeat, live on national TV ! Best to let that particular "sleeping dog lie". :mad:

i8cornwall

Is a rugby league team in Cornwall now, playing in the bottom league (league 1), club is only 2 seasons old but made some progress last year and won a few games.

Think they are moving to Truro soon so not a million miles away to go watch a game.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Super league this season imho has done a really good deal with the BBC to cover 15 super league matches and they challenge cup coverage (I think it works out around 25 matches on FTA and the BBC normally cover the England side these days as well. . Sports in the lower end such as Rugby need the FTA exposure. I have always preferred Rugby league over Union. Whilst I am not fanatic or anything silly, I do enjoy intaking some rugby league every so often.

manc grecian

A proper sport for proper people.

Come on Salford

Stelios

haka

One of the best and most entertaining contests in any sport is rugby league's annual State Of Origin series, in Australia.

Not ideal times for live viewing in the UK, but well worth catching if you can. (Watch from behind the sofa ...)

Bridgy 81

Following my recent sojourn to the North West when I stayed in Warrington and went to our match against Wigan, I‘ve watched The Wolves (or The Wire as they’re known locally) on tv this evening win easily against Castleford Tigers.
It was nice to see a convincing home victory for a change with no hiccups or stresses.
So maybe I’ll start a My New Rugby League Club Podcast.
But I know I won’t because:
a) I’m not sufficiently interested in it.
b) Other people won’t be sufficiently interested in it.
c) Fortunately, I don’t need the money.

iscalad

Following my recent sojourn to the North West when I stayed in Warrington and went to our match against Wigan, I‘ve watched The Wolves (or The Wire as they’re known locally) on tv this evening win easily against Castleford Tigers.
It was nice to see a convincing home victory for a change with no hiccups or stresses.
So maybe I’ll start a My New Rugby League Club Podcast.
But I know I won’t because:
a) I’m not sufficiently interested in it.
b) Other people won’t be sufficiently interested in it.
c) Fortunately, I don’t need the money.
Good choice.
I went to a conference in Leeds many moons ago. As I walked up a hill towards my hotel a coach stopped on my side of the road. These huge well muscled men disgorged from said coach, which I found rather intimidating.
Then I recognised Mel Maninga, it was the Aussie rugby league team.