• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

RIP Ron Baynham

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
Sad to see that Ron Baynham has passed away at the age of 94. Many will remember his 1959 FA Cup appearance for then (Old) First Division Luton Town at St James Park - Att 20,000. City went 1-0 up in the first half but ultimately lost 1-2. The game is more memorable to some for the x rated tackle by Billy Bingham on star winger Gordon Dale. Dale became a limping passenger on the wing (no subs then). I took some comfort though that I had seen my boyhood idol Ron Bingham, although he didnt have a lot to do! He was a great keeper up there with the very best.

PeteUSA

Sad to see that Ron Baynham has passed away at the age of 94. Many will remember his 1959 FA Cup appearance for then (Old) First Division Luton Town at St James Park - Att 20,000. City went 1-0 up in the first half but ultimately lost 1-2. The game is more memorable to some for the x rated tackle by Billy Bingham on star winger Gordon Dale. Dale became a limping passenger on the wing (no subs then). I took some comfort though that I had seen my boyhood idol Ron Bingham, although he didnt have a lot to do! He was a great keeper up there with the very best.
EDIT: Second to last line should be Baynham not Bingham! :oops:

EDIT: Second to last line should be Baynham not Bingham! :oops:
I was at that game with my Dad and stood in what was called 'Spivs Corner( where the old offices were and where the jungle path is now).
The previous season Luton were beaten 2-1 in the FA Cup final by Nottingham Forest. One Roy Dwight got one of the goals and was injured later in the game. He was Elton John's cousin, I believe.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Football fans who moan about the modern game should read Gary Imlach's book "My father and other working class football heroes". A lot of it is about Notts Forest and Luton Town and the appalling way they treated Stuart Imlach, Scottish wing wizard and team-mate of Roy Dwight and Ron Baynham.

iscalad

Rosencrantz

Football fans who moan about the modern game should read Gary Imlach's book "My father and other working class football heroes". A lot of it is about Notts Forest and Luton Town and the appalling way they treated Stuart Imlach, Scottish wing wizard and team-mate of Roy Dwight and Ron Baynham.
It's an excellent read. Also has a bit of City related trivia in there as Stewart went on to coach at Everton and was given the original white boots by Alan Ball. Gary saw them hung up in the garage.

Oldsmobile-88

I was at that game with my Dad and stood in what was called 'Spivs Corner( where the old offices were and where the jungle path is now).
Ha...What a great unofficial name.

When I started to watch from the St James Rd end in 1971 it was unofficially known as The Busmens End by some due to the amount of Devon General drivers & Conductors who stood there once their shift was over.