• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Retained List for 2024/25 (released)

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Of the 5 in negotiations I think all 5 could re-sign, most doubtful to me is Harry Lee then Tom Carroll, but the other three I think will sign. With regards to the loanees I would expect to see a play for Luke Harris, Dion Rankine and Ryan Woods, with possibly Dion being a permanent signing. Ryan is a little less certain in view of the demise of Leroy Rosenoir but we can but hope.

(See Bridgy that is how the Specs work, then watch the dream get shattered as the days march on)

Phil Sayers

Very well known Exeweb poster
I think either of those loan players from the 2011/12 season. Nicholas Bignall and Rowan Vine were worse.
Bignall was truly dreadful (albeit not here long due to an injury). I seem to recall at Stevenage that their keeper Julian was inexplicably not red-carded (this was before the double-jeopardy change) for bringing him down when clean through on the opening day of the season. Uproar at the time but later it dawned on me that the ref had simply done his homework - Bignall being clean through did not in any way mean we had been denied a clear goal-scoring opportunity.

DawlishBouy

From the same year there is also Max Edgecombe, who got a pro contract a year early and is also contracted for next year. So that means two professionals from that year group.
That is low but it comes when we have six of the year above already signed on (Cox Borges James Beardmore and Billington,plus Charlie Cummins) with Lee also in the frame.

In answer to your question my recollection is that it is usually pretty final when a first pro contract isn't offered. Occasionally we have players described as going on to a third year of a scholarship (but I've never understood that concept).
It usually happens with players who have injuries. Argyle's retained list shows them offering extended scholarships to three players who had injury problems through last season. Maybe City might do the same with Sam Joce and Scott Simmons. Simmons looked a real prospect in last season's FA Youth cup games but has played very few games this season.

Boyo

Quite pleased at the retained list. Especially that we are trying to keep Mitchell, Lee and Carroll (and not unhappy at trying to retain Watts). I had feared that by the time of the retained list one or more would have indicated they weren't staying.
It's not in the best interest of players to reject a contract offer until the have something else firmed up, so whereas I'd really like Mitchell and Carroll to sign, I suspect they are waiting to see what happens. Similar to Kev McDonald last season.

Alistair20000

Hs this thread morphed too much into a review of the crappiest strikers who have played for us ?

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
I believe he's got a broken arm or recent severe injury, not sure another club would take a punt on a youth and with a severe recent injury. I think he'll sign with us.
Maybe he can't sign because he has a broken arm? 🤔

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Nice theory but unfortunately let down by the fact he appeared to signing autographs just fine after the last game of the season.

Colesman Ballz

Nice theory but unfortunately let down by the fact he appeared to signing autographs just fine after the last game of the season.
Spoilsport ! :p

Antony Moxey

Perhaps he broke his arm afterwards. Or maybe has RSI through signing so many.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
He hasn't got a leg to stand on.