• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Redevelopment of SJP - a contrast with Northampton

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
It looks like Northampton Council are going to loan Northampton Town £12m to finance a new stand at Sixfields. Also that Coventry are going to ground-share with them as they are still in dispute with the owners of the Ricoh Stadium, which will presumably become a white elephant.

'Council leader David Mackintosh said: "The loan we are making to the football club is not money from the taxpayer. As a public authority we have access to funds that the football club don't have and the developments will pay for the stadium improvement. Until then, this loan will allow the club to get started."'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-23168498

Compare and contrast, as they say...

Pete Martin (CTID)

Very well known Exeweb poster
In 2003 Northampton Town negotiated a 150 year lease with their local council. As far as I am aware we have still not even got as far as negotiating a new lease (which, as I understand it currently has 8 years to run) with ours.

We are light years behind even Northampton Town, which is very disappointing when you consider the momentum that seemed to be building up two years ago.

anth_ecfc

In 2003 Northampton Town negotiated a 150 year lease with their local council. As far as I am aware we have still not even got as far as negotiating a new lease (which, as I understand it currently has 8 years to run) with ours.

We are light years behind even Northampton Town, which is very disappointing when you consider the momentum that seemed to be building up two years ago.
The council couldn't give a Toss about ECFC ! Never have never will .

Pete Martin (CTID)

I'm not entirely convinced about that. On the face of it it seems that way but, sometimes, what you achieve can be a direct consequence of how you go about things.

ecfc70

oh they do but only when we play at old trafford, wembley or another big team away, if that were to happen this season they're guaranteed to be the 1st on the bandwagon

Perhaps that's the answer.
A decent cup run and negotiate a new lease during the middle of it for maximum return.
If only we did cup runs!!

citydrinker

2 minute hobble from the nearest pub. Or in it.
What a sweeping statement.

Personally I don't know what Exeter City Councillors really think. But I do know that when you analyse the overall Council Tax bill, only a comparatively small amount of that charge goes to our local Council.

Interesting that Northampton Borough (rather than County) Council have come up with this investment at such an "austere" time.

I can't be arsed to dig too deeply tonight, but a cursory look reveals that the "new East Stand would be built, along with a hotel and conference centre". Sixfields, unlike SJP, is not hemmed in by local housing. Seems to me that anyone with half a brain can see that using Northampton as a comparison to our own situation is meaningless.

If anyone thinks otherwise, then please, intelligently, explain why.

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member

Personally I don't know what Exeter City Councillors really think. But I do know that when you analyse the overall Council Tax bill, only a comparatively small amount of that charge goes to our local Council.

Interesting that Northampton Borough (rather than County) Council have come up with this investment at such an "austere" time.

I can't be arsed to dig too deeply tonight, but a cursory look reveals that the "new East Stand would be built, along with a hotel and conference centre". Sixfields, unlike SJP, is not hemmed in by local housing. Seems to me that anyone with half a brain can see that using Northampton as a comparison to our own situation is meaningless.

Bang on the nose there... See an idea and think its applicable to us.

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster

Keith,

In fact the Northampton redevelopment scheme is not too dissimilar to ours. The Leader of Northampton Borough Council has stated “We have agreed a redevelopment partnership with Northampton Town Football Club that involves a housing scheme and small scale, local retail development on land, upon which the football club have a 150 year lease, as well as adjacent land near the stadium.” This could be similar to our own scheme which would also include enabling provision.

The loan from Northampton Borough Council is likely to be short term, possibly 3 or 4 years. This is to cover the period of building the income generating structures (hotel, conference centre etc) until these start to produce a positive revenue flow. I would be interested in the terms of that £12m loan. However (and I might be wrong because there have been recent changes to local government law) but I cannot see it being interest free and could possibly be at current PWLB rates which are somewhere in the region of 3 to 4%.

My own redevelopment proposal went to the Trust Board last Tuesday. It was included on Part 2 of the agenda simply because I have identified no less than twelve different feasible methods of funding the project. Some of those funding sources only have a limited pot available, hence the secrecy. It is currently being considered by the Club.

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
Interesting to know right wing so thanks for sharing. Hope it is a goer and will bring some news this season.