• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Red Legion Disbanded

StroudGrecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
I'm with Captain Barbosa: "the Code is more what you call *guidelines* than actual *rules*."
I refer you to my post #117 :)

Grecian Max

I don't know if I should be flattered.

I'm merely bemused Max, always been impressed with the effort that went into things and the atmosphere at home was certainly improved (even if some of the good older songs died as a result).
I just can't get my head around that you'd throw it all away because of some weird playground style rules about a piece of cloth. It means they've won surely, and I can't believe ultras would go down so easily. As my parents used to say to me (And I say to my kids) I'm not angry, I'm just disappointed at the reaction from the legion.

Anyway, I'm content to leave it there and not rattle on any further and wind things up more. 🍻
As I say, if you’re not into the culture then I get it might seem odd. We always wanted to do things properly, that’s why it worked well.

Any new group that pops up will have a lot to live up to - there’s more to it than just turning up on matchday with a drum. I can watch that neutrally now, going to call it a day on that sort of active support and stick to just turning up.

StroudGrecian

I suppose if you abandoned the rules you'd have little control on how things turned out.

A sort of post-code lottery.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
I refer you to my post #117 :)
Missed that. You are ahead of me. Mea culpa.

My excuse is that I'm abroad on holibobs at present and not reading every scrap of Exeweb.

Grecian Max

One of the downsides I found to standing on the Bank in recent years is that this seemed to die a death - while the atmosphere was often excellent (and I salute those involved), there had developed something of a "them and us" culture which stifled creativity amongst those who weren't part of the inner circle. It all became so orchestrated. I remember one time a small group (two or three) tried to start up an original (and relevant to the play) chant - something which at away games over the years would quickly catch on (I lay claim to "Sing when we're swimming" and "We've got Pneumonia" that day at St Albans, for example) - and were met with stony silence, before a short while later a rehashed chant would start which had no real bearing on what was happening on the pitch.

As someone who finds the whole "Ultras" thing rather bemusing (as mentioned in the thread the handful of "Stanley Ultras" is hilarious), I don't claim to understand "Ultra culture" and find this whole code thing rather silly. But in amongst all the funereal tones I would ask whether the people who did things under the RL banner like sing stuff will suddenly go silent now they don't have a flag? I'm sure they won't, they'll still give it gusto at matches, and I for one will be glad.
The bank was ***** for atmosphere prior Jason, it was one of the reasons it cropped up in the first place. It’s too big and dead without a drum, this is an acoustic issue.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I never said it wasn't (and I agree with you about this), my point had more to do with the culture that went with it.

Anyway I hope those who contributed towards the usually excellent atmosphere continue to do so. Now that my throat has pretty much given up the ghost my own singing days are somewhat numbered.

Oldsmobile-88

If the banner was so important based on the Code of Honour of Ultras, then why the **** did you leave it unguarded in the Big Bank overnight? You wouldn't have done that with your wallet.

IndoMike

As I say, if you’re not into the culture then I get it might seem odd. We always wanted to do things properly, that’s why it worked well.

Any new group that pops up will have a lot to live up to - there’s more to it than just turning up on matchday with a drum. I can watch that neutrally now, going to call it a day on that sort of active support and stick to just turning up.
Max. I hate to go on and on about this, too.
You said you always wanted to do things properly. If some j+rks steal the banner, does that mean you haven't done things properly? You haven't let anybody down, have you?

Grecian Max

I never said it wasn't (and I agree with you about this), my point had more to do with the culture that went with it.

Anyway I hope those who contributed towards the usually excellent atmosphere continue to do so. Now that my throat has pretty much given up the ghost my own singing days are somewhat numbered.
I regularly defended this - chants weren’t deliberately ignored, often you’d vaguely hear something being chanted from elsewhere but right at the back it can be hard to hear that. When ever a come on your reds, if we hate Argyle or whatever was started if it was audible it would be joined in. I think the us v them thing is something easily, and understandably misunderstood. It was about having a focal point and consistent starting point for noise and with the Big Bank it was the most effective way to make noise on there since it opened (I have been standing there from that point).

Much is made of the cowshed but it was miles ahead acoustically and to be positioned in the middle of the pitch or closer to the away fans has massive advantages. Would RL have been required in there, quite possibly not.

I’m 33 in Feb, in footballer terms a veteran ;) So this is it for me on that front, I look forward to seeing what’s next. I do suspect in a few years time people will talk about RL in good terms.

Grecian2K

(I lay claim to "Sing when we're swimming" )
Whilst I applaud you skills, both as an Exeweb Administrator and as resident Whooshmaster General, and would have to offend you in any way (other than politically!) I fear I must disabuse you of that particular conceit.

As far as I know that particular chant was first aired a Brunton Park during the final game of the 2004-5 season, far preceding the St Albans deluge.
That was a year when Carlisle had suffered one of its periodic floods - to see the high-water-marks still halfway up the walls of the (two storey) houses along Warwick Road was rather shocking. IIRC correctly the song was initiated by a handful of last who, despite the beautiful sunny spring sunshine, had donned inflatable armbands especially for the occasion.