• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Question time

Red the Paper

Banned
It certainly is controversial H. And I have two children and entirely sympathise with your earlier sentiments.

BUT, as a society we are faced with a situation where individuals feel compelled to act in a way that is morally reprehensible and totally unacceptable to the rest of us. And we have a choice, we either help them to control their urges, which will mean supporting them and yes acknowledging their success in this, so that they have the opportunity to make a positive contribution to society, or we give up on them, ostracise them or even kill them. Good I'm sure many would say, but I would ask, where then do you draw the line? Who's next? How intolerant a society do we want to live in?

Also, in many other countries and cultures the LEGAL age of consent is considerably lower than that which is considered to be morally right in the 'West'. How does our moral compass react to that?

Stroudy, this is not meant as a personal dig or anything of the sort just a genuine question.

As a parent how would you deal with a person who abused your own children?

Last edited:

Phil Sayers

Very well known Exeweb poster
It certainly is controversial H. And I have two children and entirely sympathise with your earlier sentiments.

BUT, as a society we are faced with a situation where individuals feel compelled to act in a way that is morally reprehensible and totally unacceptable to the rest of us. And we have a choice, we either help them to control their urges, which will mean supporting them and yes acknowledging their success in this, so that they have the opportunity to make a positive contribution to society, or we give up on them, ostracise them or even kill them. Good I'm sure many would say, but I would ask, where then do you draw the line? Who's next? How intolerant a society do we want to live in?

Also, in many other countries and cultures the LEGAL age of consent is considerably lower than that which is considered to be morally right in the 'West'. How does our moral compass react to that?
Thanks for that Stroud. Superbly put.

StroudGrecian

Stroudy, this is not meant as a personal dig or anything of the sort just a genuine question.

As a parent how would you deal with a person who abused your own children?
I'd want to knife the f*cker.

But I would, probably, let the law deal with them.

Sorry Red, rubbish answer but terribly difficult to even contemplate this scenario.

Last edited:

Red the Paper

Banned
I'd want to knife the f*cker.

But I would, probably, let the law deal with them.

Sorry Red, rubbish answer but terribly difficult to even contemplate this scenario.
Yeah, sorry for putting it on here. Like I said it wasn't meant as a personal dig just trying to evoke a response. Whilst I do understand and accept the points you raise I see no re-habilitation for child sex offenders. Luckily my own children haven't had to go through it, however thousands have and their parents (those that didn't commit the crime in the first place) have had to deal with the dilemas faced.

Phil Sayers

Thanks for that Stroud. Superbly put.

I think the reaction to holding any debate at all on this issue shows that it is probably the last great taboo and understandably so. I don't have children myself but I can well understand how many that do (and indeed many others) will be only able to approach it in an emotive way. That said it is a debate that will happen rationally at some stage and probably before too long.

It was only 50 years ago that suggesting homosexuals were in some way a victim (yes Heathy I really do have sympathy for paedophiles) would have caused a similar reaction. To suggest now that homosexuals are victims would be grossly offensive - it has gone past that stage. Attitudes change very quickly; obviously it will never get to the stage of saying being sexually attracted to children is 'normal' but I would be extremely surprised if more people were not agreeing with me in 50 years time that in many ways they are victims than disagreeing with me. They are simply born with sick fantasies but it is nothing they have any control over. I mainly feel sorry for them because they are born warped and have to live with it - not to mention not having sex at all. You may as well hate someone because green is their favourite colour for all they can do about it.

In relation to RTP's question I point out that in my very first post I said anyone who actually acts on their impulses should be locked up - quite possibly forever.

Last edited:

ECFC '72

Laughing at the people showing their true colours
Very valiant opinion by SG etc, but I doubt there are many parents, who if given the opportunity, would follow your path. I wouldn't, I'd drive over the person until s/he was flat enough for me to deliver though the police stations letter box, where they can do with them what they want.

Last edited:

Phil Sayers

It seems the parameters of the debate are being shifted. Neither myself nor Stroud have anything but contempt and disgust for child abusers. However I would guess that the vast majority of paedophiles are not molesters but instead lonely people who are as disgusted about their desires as everyone else and have to live with the shame.

StroudGrecian

I would add to that Phil, that the vast majority of paedophiles seem to have been victims of paedophilia themselves. No stats, just how it seems to me.

StroudGrecian

Very valiant opinion by SG etc, but I doubt there are many parents, who if given the opportunity, would follow your path. I wouldn't, I'd drive over the person until s/he was flat enough for me to deliver though the police stations letter box, where they can do with them what they want.
To be honest ECFC72 when all bravado is said and done I think most parents would, and do, leave it to the law.

Antony Moxey

To be honest ECFC72 when all bravado is said and done I think most parents would, and do, leave it to the law.
Hmm, not sure they would, or do. I imagine the police get them first because I cannot for the life of me think of why a parent wouldn't want to pay them a visit if they knew who they were. Bravado or not.