• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

PSF: Salisbury Away. Match Day thread.

M5MazdaMike

Same Robbie Matthews that we were interested in signing a few seasons ago, scores hat-trick. Do we have any of the 6 who are likely to score 3 in one game?

Poultice

Very well known Exeweb poster
Corr, Logie, Stans, Watson, Macca, Stewart, (Norwood)
Far be it from me to take one line from a post an address it in isolation.............

Stewart never and Logie rarely got played as strikers last season, Norwood is a striker but I think experience has taught us not to expect him to be thrown in the deep end, Corr and Watson are candidates for the treatment room leaving us with TWO strikers likely to be fit most of the time, god forbid that anyone should see this viewpoint as being critical of Tis of course.

I don't see Macca and Baz as being similar at all beyond being tall, maybe Baz would make a target but Mac definitely doesn't, I see him more as a taller version of Fleetwood, to suggest that Norwood can do the Stans role is a tad premature IMO. Macca and Logie were mustard on the one occasion I saw them play as a pair and I should like to see Baz amd Logie early on as I feel that could be a fit.

None of that is gonna happen though cos Tis has his method, a fairly successful it has been too, one up front for most of the game then a switch for impact late on, to achieve that he needs numbers and variety, to gain that he appears to be prepared to accept a lack of proven quality on the goal scoring front, at least not at the new level.

citytillidie72

Well-known Exeweb poster
Amusing to see the hysterics starting already about how we should be winning all our PSFs, and that if we don't then we're going to struggle. FFS behave yourselves, friendly results have about as much bearing on the coming season as your panicking over getting your season tickets on time and whether we'll have enough tickets for Leeds.

:cool:
couldnt have agreed more myself :D

finetime

None of that is gonna happen though cos Tis has his method, a fairly successful it has been too, one up front for most of the game then a switch for impact late on, to achieve that he needs numbers and variety, to gain that he appears to be prepared to accept a lack of proven quality on the goal scoring front, at least not at the new level.
Yeah - I agree with this and your points about how injury prone some of the forwards are.

I would have thought having 1 up front would mean you need fewer strikers though?

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
Interesting to hear Tis at the Cat & Fiddle on Monday discuss the fact that he believes the new pitch out there will actually reduce the number of injuries we suffer during the winter months. Here's hoping!

morpheus

Concerns about us playing pitty-patty football and passing it across the penalty area make me wonder which team some people have been watching for the past couple of seasons. This is the way Tis does it! We're not going to play direct and hoof it up the park, and certainly not in a friendly, which is there to be used first and foremost, not to be won.

It will take time for the squad to gel, and we may struggle in the division this season as it is a real step up in quality. Tis will not change the broad pattern of the way we play - even though he may change players and formations from time to time. Some will see that as a strength, others a weakness which is their right, but the manager has at the very least earned our patience, and surely some recognition of how his teams play the game.

Pobbop

PSF results mean nothing.

One thing that's worrying me a bit is why Marcus hasn't played recently. Of our 3 veterans he's the one I'd most want in my side. Any news on any injury?

malcolms

Concerns about us playing pitty-patty football and passing it across the penalty area make me wonder which team some people have been watching for the past couple of seasons. This is the way Tis does it! We're not going to play direct and hoof it up the park, and certainly not in a friendly, which is there to be used first and foremost, not to be won.

It will take time for the squad to gel, and we may struggle in the division this season as it is a real step up in quality. Tis will not change the broad pattern of the way we play - even though he may change players and formations from time to time. Some will see that as a strength, others a weakness which is their right, but the manager has at the very least earned our patience, and surely some recognition of how his teams play the game.
I don't think anyone could deny that PT deserves patience given what he has acheived. Unfortunately, this league is likely to be a tough and unforgiving place with hammerings a possibility on a fairly regular basis.

greenawayr

Well said old bean.

Lets hope we've progressed past the days of calling for the managers shaven head after a couple of poor results.

arthur

. Unfortunately, this league is likely to be a tough and unforgiving place with hammerings a possibility on a fairly regular basis.
I agree with this. We need a "hammerings protocol" which could include:
not panicking

trusting Tis

allowing people on exeweb to criticise and suggest improvements without them being howled down by the happy clappy "aren't you just grateful to be 21st in the league - look where we were three years ago" brigade