• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Proud to be from Exeter

greciansaint

Was at the match yesterday supporting The Saints but born in Devon and grew up in Countess Wear, so City are my (very close) second favourite team and I'm always glued to Ceefax when Grecians are playing. A great turnout from Devon and a great atmosphere from the City fans yesterday-noisey but never nasty-exactly how it should be! St Mary's does see its fair share of trouble but yesterday was an exception.

I thought the team played with a lot of passion and spirit too and am surprised to hear of criticism aimed towards Paul Tisdale on this forum.

I am not the HUGE City fan that most of you probably are and don't get to many games but is it not fair to say that City are doing bloody well at the moment? Two successive promotions and achieving anything but relegation this season must be a huge success this year? I've been used to seeing Saints in Europe, Cup Semis and Finals and some high Premiership finishes but have to be realistic and admit that they were punching above their weight for many years. This season we're just delighted to see some stability and feel that the team is competitive, albeit in League 1.

I wonder where you think Exeter 'belong' in the league? I would suggest that Saints are probably lower Prem or high Championship and Exeter League 2? I guess it depens what criteria you use and thank God football doesn't work like that anyway! I'm proud to support Saints and proud of Exeter too because they are great clubs with great fans, not because they are the most successful on the pitch!

geoffwp

Very well known Exeweb poster
Was at the match yesterday supporting The Saints but born in Devon and grew up in Countess Wear, so City are my (very close) second favourite team
Born in Devon? Grew up in Exeter? So why aren't you first and foremost an Exeter City supporter. All this stuff about 2nd fav teams is just cack. Born in the city so it should be in your heart and soul.

Tony Wizzz

In the Flybe (not in a suit) and having a beer and
but is it not fair to say that City are doing bloody well at the moment? Two successive promotions and achieving anything but relegation this season must be a huge success this year?
I think most City "Supporters" realise this, but I guess as with any other club, some have completely unrealistic expectations, basically in the last 7 years we've come from the verge of extinction to Lge 1, and the club as a whole are still moving forward within the "Trust" model. Whether we can continue to do so, time will tell, but IMHO, the correct structures are being put in place, to enable us to cotinue to move forward, although with home crowds of 5-6k we cannot hope to compete with the top teams in Lge 1. I'm hoping we can survive 2-3 seasons, and then maybe progress on the pitch. Good luck for the rest of the season, would certainly see you as a Championship club, and maybe one day we will have a brief flirtation in the Championship for a season or two.

UTC[ecfc]

greciansaint

Born in Torquay, grew up in Exeter then moved to Southampton. What diference does it make?

citytillidie72

Well-known Exeweb poster
Born in Torquay, grew up in Exeter then moved to Southampton. What diference does it make?
that makes it worse!

Poultice

Don't worry about Geoff, it's his time of the month.

I thought your mob started to get ready to lob their toys out the pram the first time we gave you a "small town near Portsmouth", but to fill the ground you need a fair lump of daytrippers so you could never match the passion forged by recent visits to St. Albans and Northwich Victoria.

Despite yesterday I would love to see you get up there and deny Macky Ds a place in the POs or, can we even hope, consign the dirty Leeds scum to same, with the same result as the last two seasons.

greciansaint

I'm happy to admit I'm not City's (or Saints) 'BIGGEST' fan. My kids have been brought up following Saints and Exeter and we also watch Exeter Chiefs when we can - maybe that's wrong too? I moved away from Exeter when I was still a child, that's irrelevant though and I'm not trying to compete!

I enjoyed the match yesterday, I was proud of both teams, both sets of fans etc. All teams have daytrippers and that's a fact of life and one I'm happy with. I'm just delighted to see both clubs where they are now and not where they might have ended up being!

citytillidie72

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm happy to admit I'm not City's (or Saints) 'BIGGEST' fan. My kids have been brought up following Saints and Exeter and we also watch Exeter Chiefs when we can - maybe that's wrong too? I moved away from Exeter when I was still a child, that's irrelevant though and I'm not trying to compete!

I enjoyed the match yesterday, I was proud of both teams, both sets of fans etc. All teams have daytrippers and that's a fact of life and one I'm happy with. I'm just delighted to see both clubs where they are now and not where they might have ended up being!
agree with you there. both clubs could very easily have gone out of existence. reckon saints will make the play offs as well

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
You've done no wrong in my eyes m'lad. It's good of you to show some support for Exeter's teams. One thing though, I joined the British Army as a boy-entrant, and since my parents death I haven't lived in Exeter since, but City will always be my team.

Pete Martin (CTID)

Born in Devon? Grew up in Exeter? So why aren't you first and foremost an Exeter City supporter. All this stuff about 2nd fav teams is just cack. Born in the city so it should be in your heart and soul.
What utter bolex!! Good on ya GrecianSaint...so much better than my daughters' boyfriend who was born and bred in the city and follows friggin' LEEDS! [n]