• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Proposal for Trust ballot re removal of Tisdale

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
Lez (and Rae) have gone very quiet, recently. Perhaps Tisdale's football has sent them to sleep..

To be fair I was at a trust forum last week with 50 plus members attending and only 1 person was vocal about how fed up he was with Tisdale.

The rest who spoke up were pro Tisdale..

Just saying....

I like this idea, it'll probably guarantee us an exciting 7-0 win.
Yep-s--ds law will give us a convincing win over W/don no doubt.

I suggested the outdoor ballot and as long as it takes place on public property the club cannot prevent it and it will increase the wider visibility of what is being attempted.
Very few people in a public forum will have the confidence to stand up and directly call for a resignation.
We in Devon are a stoic lot but as someone moving back to the Westcountry after many years away and being a (mainly) home supporter for the past 5-6 years I have become despondent about things and whilst Championship football is a bit of a pipe-dream I am firmly of the view that with some enlightened player loans/purchases over the summer (when hopefully we won't be in hock to the PFA again) and a change of management we can once again begin to start punching above our weight.
I am not calling for a return to the days of the two clowns who all but destroyed the club some 10 years ago but the Trust does have it within its powers to increase the minimum monthly to say £5 which will help to build up a fighting fund.
No doubt many who are paying just the minimu each month will say that they can't afford such an increase from £2 to £5and will resign.If they are somokers and/or drinkers this is hardly a monthly sacrifice.
Time for my pills I think.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
To be fair I was at a trust forum last week with 50 plus members attending and only 1 person was vocal about how fed up he was with Tisdale.

Just saying....
And I was just teasing you. Knew you'd bite. Good for Tisdale : if he has a 50-1 majority looks like the critics are in a small minority. Hopefully that will give him the confidence to release the hounds from their chains and let them go out and attack, vertical -football style.

elginCity

All this talk of Trust proposals and resolutions, will amount to Jack. There are two areas that will effect a mood for change; attendance figures and/or the manager losing the dressing room.

With an average gate nudging 4000, crowds have held up remarkably well considering the long term poor home form, a strong indication the support has not given up totally YET. Same can be said for the dressing room, with no obvious sign of the players not playing for the manager, well not in the away matches I've witnessed, or heard/read about at home.

Fans and players going missing will do it, not ballots.

geoffwp

This thread was a timely reminder for me so my thanks to the op. I had let my trust membership run out when I retired and have been intending to return to it for a while now but constantly forgetting. Going to make it a definite job for today so I can join in any ballot with a (y) for the manager.

IndoMike

This thread was a timely reminder for me so my thanks to the op. I had let my trust membership run out when I retired and have been intending to return to it for a while now but constantly forgetting. Going to make it a definite job for today so I can join in any ballot with a (y) for the manager.
Yeah, right, Geoff. You forgot.

Edward

There are far too many potential legal implications with the proposed wording. And so-called ‘ownership’ of the football club (via the Trust’s majority shareholding) does not automatically confer the right for the members to make critical decisions without full knowledge of all the background.

That said, it is entirely right for the club board to continually question the performance of the manager to ensure he is meeting expectations both from a sporting and commercial standpoint. Poor results and declining attendances should be a huge concern. In my view, the Trust directors would be failing in their statutory duty to look after shareholder interests if they weren’t discussing the manager’s position at the present time.

And the contributions to that discussion from the Trust appointed directors should reflect the views of their constituents. For that reason, the Trust should do all that it can to gauge fan opinion on a variety of topics so they do not fall into the trap of merely representing their own personal views.

Sadly, there is a limited requirement for the Trust Board to represent the fans since there is rarely a need for any election and too many are co-opted onto the board in the first place. There is very little risk that you will lose your seat at the table because you have failed to engage with and represent the fans. Democracy falls over a bit whenever you don’t have enough capable people to contest the available positions.

Red Bill

I think you need to clarify the ballot wording a little otherwise the lawyers acting for Tis and/or the Board will have a field day.
If there is a low turn-out and despite a majority in favour of those actually voting to terminate his contract some wd argue that this was hardly a conclusive result.(I know govs get elected on barely any majority support especially with low turn outs etc).
Perhaps we shd say a "majority of those voting" rather than the implied "majority of trust members"
Best of luck.

PS-could there not also be an opportunity to sign the petition at the next home game/s as long as bona fide Trust members are given the opportunity to sign. Simple job afterwards to check that they are actually current Trust members and thus entitled to vote?
Many will be apathetic (online) or will sit on the fence for fear of rocking the boat.
A face to face invite to sign often produces results-just imagine the support for such a petition after the Argyle gane !!
The majority thing is a difficult one, ideally I would like a majority of Trust member, hence why i added the stipulation of how the vote should be carried out, but as you point out it can only be a majority of those voting in reality.
With reference to the wording of the proposal, I chose my words very carefully, and that is why it says "seek a renegotiation" rather than "demand a renegotiation". I'm not a lawyer, but I don't think there's anything in law that prevents asking the question. Obviously the only way we can ensure his departure if he refused to resign would be to pay up his contract, but I'm hoping this won't be necessary and was advised against any reference to this in the proposal.

Red Bill

I think you need to clarify the ballot wording a little otherwise the lawyers acting for Tis and/or the Board will have a field day.
If there is a low turn-out and despite a majority in favour of those actually voting to terminate his contract some wd argue that this was hardly a conclusive result.(I know govs get elected on barely any majority support especially with low turn outs etc).
Perhaps we shd say a "majority of those voting" rather than the implied "majority of trust members"
Best of luck.

PS-could there not also be an opportunity to sign the petition at the next home game/s as long as bona fide Trust members are given the opportunity to sign. Simple job afterwards to check that they are actually current Trust members and thus entitled to vote?
Many will be apathetic (online) or will sit on the fence for fear of rocking the boat.
A face to face invite to sign often produces results-just imagine the support for such a petition after the Argyle gane !!
I am planning to canvass support in person at the next home match

Red Bill

Just saying....
I am calling for a vote Lez, people can vote whichever way they choose. If they don't want Tisdale to leave and are still supportive of him as manager, this is as much their chance to register that as it is for those of us who would like to see him leave.