• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Promotion at Workington - 25 April 1964

JW57++

That was my first ever away game, and still my longest away journey by a comfortable margin. I am pretty sure the train there and back was a football special for Exeter City. Certainly the return journey seemed to be all City fans and the players.
The excitement of my first long train journey was tempered by the time taken. The worst bit was killing time before and after the game as there were long gaps and Workington was not the centre of civilisation, especially hanging around for the train on the evening/night after the game.
Workington were a point above us and, in effect, guaranteed promotion already but could not win the league. We just needed a draw and were quite expert at getting 0-0 draws that season. 0-0 certainly suited both sides, but it was still a relief when the game ended. Not much excitement during the game, but excitement growing as it became more likely that we would achieve the draw. Both sets of fans celebrated promotion at the end, so the atmosphere was one of mutual friendship.
My main memory of the day was the fact that mathematically the game did not guarantee us promotion. 5th placed Bradford City had an evening game at York City after our match, and if they won they would have equalled our points total. However, to overcome our better goal average (not goal difference in those days) they needed to beat York 27-0. I must be a severe pessimist because I didn’t fully celebrate until we heard that York had won 1-0.
The biggest shock was arriving at St David’s station on the Sunday and seeing the team greeted by what seemed to be a massive crowd of fans in very high spirits.

Martin Weiler

From Ron White (73 year old exile in Liverpool):

Seeing the photo of Dave Hancock and Alan Banks in St David's station brought it all back to me.

Couldn't go to Workington as it was at the other end of the world.

So we watched 'Grandstand' and awaited the final score.

My brother (7years old) and me (13 years of age) in our Exmouth home knew that the Grecians needed just a point for their first ever promotion.

So when the announcer said Workington -0 we both exploded in utter glee and delight. Still remember my mother's shock and surprise at such uncontrolled, wild scenes in the Living Room.

These fond memories in tribute to Jack Edwards and the best team Exeter City ever had.

Martin Weiler

And one final follow up to our promotion at Workington - on this day (28 April) 60 years ago we had a Devon Bowl Final v Argyle - just 24 hours after a Promotion Civic Reception at the Guildhall. A competition record crowd of 8141 packed into SJP and City crushed Plymouth 4-0 with goals from Adrian Thorne (3) and Alan Banks. A remarkable result as Argyle were in Division 2 - two Divisions above City - and played a full strength team. Anyone at that game?

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Loving this thread. I know that being in my mid-40's makes me younger than many on here but there's still a few regular posters I didn't realise were old enough to be able to remember this promotion.

sidney

From Ron White (73 year old exile in Liverpool):

Seeing the photo of Dave Hancock and Alan Banks in St David's station brought it all back to me.

Couldn't go to Workington as it was at the other end of the world.

So we watched 'Grandstand' and awaited the final score.

My brother (7years old) and me (13 years of age) in our Exmouth home knew that the Grecians needed just a point for their first ever promotion.

So when the announcer said Workington -0 we both exploded in utter glee and delight. Still remember my mother's shock and surprise at such uncontrolled, wild scenes in the Living Room.

These fond memories in tribute to Jack Edwards and the best team Exeter City ever had.
Very much akin to my memory: we didn't have a TV so we had to listen to the radio in the kitchen. We only needed to hear 'Workington Nil' before we ran around the kitchen in delight, avoiding Mum's mangle and the ironing board. I was six, and my Dad has now passed away, but it remains my fondest memory of my father. Sorry to be soppy, but the tears are welling up as I type. You cannot ever abandon the club you love from that age.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
I've just noticed Millenic Alli had a spell on loan at Workington, so there's a nice little link.