• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Portsmouth V's Exeter City EFL Trophy SF Official Match Day Thread

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
More to do with Ward's positioning being 12 yards off his line, any need? Probably not. He was also extremely lucky the Pompey chance at 0-0 was straight at him when he was stood in line with the post rather than the middle of the goal.
When you've calmed down have another look and stop the exaggeration. 30 yards out (20), 12 yards off his line (on edge of six yard line like most keepers would be). Without the deflection, he would have saved it comfortably.

Which of our keepers are best is subjective. For me, the best form was Ward before his injury and he has the better all round game. Jonny got into good form after letting in some real howlers, and is a very good shot stopper.

thermopylai

Stunning game, even when we were struggling. Young players really showed their worth - this will be a massive learning experience. That our second string could play this well bodes well for the future. I also reckon that the bitterness of this moment is what we need to focus on getting automatic promotion this season.

Am absolutely gutted, but trying to console myself thinking that the cost of coming over for the final would have cost a minor fortune. Now I just save up for coming over for the party at Orient away.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
96+mins. Physio wasn't on either
Quite. Five minutes stoppage time was inexplicable and for them to nick it in the sixth extra minute was heartbreaking. Look forward to Matty T’s thoughts.

thermopylai

Gary Warren excellent performance
Agree. One mistake, but in general Warren was very good - especially when you think he hasn't played much with the rest of the back line this season. Would have no worries if he is called into the side at any point.

Rosencrantz

Agree. One mistake, but in general Warren was very good - especially when you think he hasn't played much with the rest of the back line this season. Would have no worries if he is called into the side at any point.
Playing in the middle of three suits him at this stage of his career. Aaron Martin is well covered. He might not have played much this season but his experience will have been a big help for Dyer, Hartridge, Diabate and co. Ideal squad player.

Last edited:

budegrecian

Our only chance of getting to Wembley this season now gone.

dontpassback

Firstly congrats to Pompey,and I hope they have a good trip to Wembley,secondly,it says a lot that our kids managed to take them to 96minutes and then lose to a late strike,which just shows how good the future of our club is,but what concerns me is that other clubs would have been watching that on sky,and coupled with the success of ollie watkins,may come sneaking around for some of our prospects,I hope I am wrong on that score,but it won’t have gone unnoticed!

Dannyred

Now which team changed just two players from the weekend and which changed ten?
Which team are going to Wembley and which team are not ?

Too many changes cost us tonight.

grecIAN Harris

Galling. It doesn't matter what you might think of the competition set up at the moment, a Wembley final is a Wembley and they don't come around very often and to lose the opportunity like that us gut wrenching.
We done the job we needed to do in the first half, looked solid and restricted Pompey to not a lot without really carrying much if a threat ourselves.
Second half Pompey came at as like you would expect and slowly but surely we weathered the storm and grew into the game again without carrying to much of a threat and then Taylor rifles home. I thought that was going to be enough but Pompey equalised and you think we would have taken penalties at the start of the night. Then we get a smash and grab oggie that if the defender didn't bury Ben Seymour certainly would have.
Five minutes!!! Where the hell did that come from? And then the knife gets twisted the equaliser and twisted even further with the horrible little deflection off of Kite, our man if the match for me. Joshy if you think Ward should have saved that then you need your head testing. The pace of the shot with the deflection gave it enough loop and dip to do Ward.
As I said earlier, that goal then gave Pompey extra bit of added on time to get the winner. I think it was Kite who lost Marquis at the back post and that , as they say, was that. We deserved to get to the lottery at the end but it wasn't to be.

Banksy

Which team are going to Wembley and which team are not ?

Too many changes cost us tonight.
Maybe our first choice team would have taken them but I’m glad Matt gave the youngsters and fringe players a chance. And if it hadn’t been for a ref’s crazy idea of extra extra time we would have won.

Last edited: