• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Pompey discussion and prediction thread

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
Just looking forward to a full house and a great atmosphere, at least at the beginning!
I'm sure Pompey will get the ball up the pitch quicker than us, we just need to soak it up and make the most of the chances when they come

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
3-0 Portsmouth

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Plenty of Big Bank tickets were available, not sure of the latest numbers.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
1-1 grinder. We show a lot of heart, but not much quality, frustrate them and nick an ugly goal.

TOP_CITY_FAN

ECFC 0-1 PFC
Sparkes '85

Agent Andy

0-2 pompey as Cheltenham beat Reading and we drop into bottom four , got to hope for a draw in that one 🤞

rustle

Couldn't make Boxing Day but definitely going tomorrow. On the other hand, perhaps I should stay away so we can win again 🤔. Nah...definitely going, I reckon a reasonable chance of at least a draw, especially after listening to what Vil said in his interview.

tea stand

It's probably not a bad time to be playing us - albeit not as good as last December when we'd gone in to a tailspin under Cowley, and he wasn't far from getting the push. We bounced back really well after our previous defeat to Blackpool, but I thought we looked a bit jaded in our defeat to Rovers on Boxing Day, following a similarly lacklustre performance last Saturday at home to Fleetwood. A few key players are still out injured, Colby Bishop looks strangely out-of-nick/low on confidence and our two fit loanees who've been really good for us might just be showing a bit of fatigure having been involved all season, having played little/no senior football prior to joining us.

We switched to a back three at 1-0 down on Boxing Day and looked more threatening than we had done - equalised and lost chasing the game which is no bad thing. I fully expect Mousinho to stick with the formation we've played with all season but it does look another option, so you never know.

Great and important result for you against Wycombe to stop the rot. Was it an improved performance, or a similar one with a different outcome?
I went to the Bristol Rovers match, I agree you looked jaded but credit to Rovers they played really well. That said, after Rovers went ahead you changed it and indeed looked more dangerous. After the equaliser it looked inevitable that you would score again and win but Rovers surprised us all with the last minute winner. I also thought you were very physical!

sign of the chimes

I went to the Bristol Rovers match, I agree you looked jaded but credit to Rovers they played really well. That said, after Rovers went ahead you changed it and indeed looked more dangerous. After the equaliser it looked inevitable that you would score again and win but Rovers surprised us all with the last minute winner. I also thought you were very physical!
Yes, credit to Rovers. They looked organised and pressed us well. They'd assembled a decent looking squad under Barton and early indications are that Matt Taylor can get a tune out of them.

Our strengths seem to depend on who we play in the attacking positions. Both Bishop and Yengi have different attributes, so determine what the rest of the team does.

The former is up there with the best in the division but is having a rare period of looking out of form. The latter has lots going for him but is pretty raw in terms of EFL experience at this stage.

Beyond the keeper and back four I've no idea what our teamsheet will look like tomorrow, which is a peculiarity this season. That's largely down to the concentration of games over the festive period.

Do you think Caldwell will make many changes?

berniesworld

I can see Pompey going at us easily like a hot knife through butter and exploiting our frailties.

But who knows if the players dig in and play with passion we might get something out of the game.