• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Despite my post above, I don't disagree with any of this.
So do i, GTW post is spot on, Although everyone who wants to govern over us must be transparent in every thing (Other than family/medical things) Its an obvious tactic the Tories will use but tbh Labour surely must know this sort of thing will be given the headlines by the Tories client media and those wanting us to vote for them (Of either Party) have to be virtually whiter than white. As i've said, faith and trust in politicians are at an all time low and its about time those that want our vote reset things so that faith and trust can be returned in some ways.

tavyred

As others have said, the story with Rayner is the glorious spectacle of the hammer of the Tory Toffs being tarred with the same brush of alleged impropriety she has always been oh so keen herself to daub her political enemies with.
As Nick Robinson of the BBC suggested to a spluttering Rayner yesterday, if this were a Tory refusing to disclose information, she’d be all over them like a rash, or words to that effect.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
The system isn’t as robust as you would think, especially with those who cite mental health issues, and that’s where the system’s weakness lies IMO.
I could get PIP within a few short months simply by getting myself a history of anti-depressants via my GP and telling the assessor I was suffering with the required combination of issues at home.
Good luck with your daughter BTW. 👍
I think the issue isn't that you don't get a free pass on mental health issues. The issue specifically for me with mental health is we don't have resources to properly treat people and they end up in a cycle of despair because we can't treat them quickly and efficiently. (I know there is a heck of a lot more to it than this but could spend the day writing about it otherwise). In the UK there is a correlation between poverty and mental health issues. We need to address major structural problems in our society to address this issue and it'll probably take over a decade with a tailing wind to see significant progress, but that would have to be wanted at every level of government.

As with any system, you'll get some whom game it, but overall our system is less generous than comparable nations and is pretty robust at dealing with people whom are caught gaming it.

I think it's exactly what government and rich people want for us to be arguing of deserving poor and undeserving poor, rather than look at the huge inequality that exist in our country and how we seriously address that. Start sorting inequality and the services available, you'll see significant improvement.

Like with the asylum issues ATM, it'll only be solved through processing and dealing with the issue, like when we got caught out in the late 90s / early 2000s, we processed our way through the backlog

DB9

This story (Quite Rightly) refuses to go away.

tavyred

This story (Quite Rightly) refuses to go away.

On the face of it someone at the top of the PO at the time needs a bit of jail time.

elginCity

Purely an observation over a period of time, just to be very clear, but it’s been noticeable to me how people on one ‘side’ regularly and often sustainably attack certain prominent women ?

Angela Merkel, Jacinda Ardern, Nicola Sturgeon, Meghan Markle, Diane Abbot, Angela Rayner, Ursula VDL. There may well be others.

The other ‘side’ appear to have a more even-handed approach to criticism of public figures imo, regardless of their gender.

Alistair20000

Purely an observation over a period of time, just to be very clear, but it’s been noticeable to me how people on one ‘side’ regularly and often sustainably attack certain prominent women ?

Angela Merkel, Jacinda Ardern, Nicola Sturgeon, Meghan Markle, Diane Abbot, Angela Rayner, Ursula VDL. There may well be others.

The other ‘side’ appear to have a more even-handed approach to criticism of public figures imo, regardless of their gender.
You missed out Teaser and Miz Liz Truss Elgers

arthur

On the face of it someone at the top of the PO at the time needs a bit of jail time.
Quite a few people I think. Perverting the course of justice Shirley

elginCity

You missed out Teaser and Miz Liz Truss Elgers
Yep, that’s fair, both derided by all sides, for different reasons. Boris fanboys in the main on their own side.

arthur

It was Liz Truss's autism that made her entirely unsuitable to lead anything, let alone a country.