• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

angelic upstart

Very well known Exeweb poster
Aye.

Consistency please ref.
Agreed, it mildly irks me when the same or even similar standards don't apply to the "side," people are on.

Alistair20000

All politicians should be held to account for their misgivings. I understand that means there wouldn't be many, if any, left.

She's made a couple grand from selling a house and can't tell the truth about it. Rather than fess up and let everyone move on.

She pretends to be one of the good guys. But isn't acting that way.
Is the right answer (y)

Mid Devon Grecian

Agreed, it mildly irks me when the same or even similar standards don't apply to the "side," people are on.
If I could work the search system on this site I’m sure I’d find Al and Tavy socking it to Zahawi, Hunt, Johnson and Mone in the same vigorous manner as they are to Rayner. Fair play if they have.

tavyred

If I could work the search system on this site I’m sure I’d find Al and Tavy socking it to Zahawi, Hunt, Johnson and Mone in the same vigorous manner as they are to Rayner. Fair play if they have.
……yet more whataboutery! 🤣

Mid Devon Grecian

……yet more whataboutery! 🤣
Aye, Rayner’s £3k is so serious in comparison to Zahawi, Hunt, Johnson and Mone’s little harmless capers isn’t it.

Alistair20000

Sometimes I get very tired.

Hello. Where have I "socked it" to Ms Rayner on this particular matter ?

DB9

You can certainly see we're in election season, Ms Rayner does need to publish her tax affairs just for the fact she is a public servant, Wanting to be in Government and if you've nothing to hide then...... It's the same for those Tories who huffed and puffed about their tax affairs. The public trust in politicians is at an all time low so even if nothing to hide, It doesn't look good. I will say the the police are "reassessing" their decision not to investigate and it was raised by a deputy chairman? of the Tory Party for the Police to do this and no guilt has been offered.

I will say The Mail had 13 headline front pages regarding "Beergate" and in the end there was nothing to see. Today also there is a kerfuffle that a leading Tory donor (No not that one) who gave them £5m is now in the HoL's as with 4 other Tories, The honour system stinks and we all know it. Thames Water wants to increase bills for 15m consumers by 40% because they've screwed up and one thing about this is that Thames Water is part owned by The Chinese Sovereign Fund, So the Chinese Government part own it!!

For what it's worth I totally agree that politicians of all stripes should be held to the same rigorous standards.

But to suggest that this is in the same league as some of the tricks pulled by the names mentioned is just plain bonkers.

The ex Chancellor I mentioned is a multi gazillionaire who, via a complex system of family trusts, property holding companies and non resident family members, knowingly attempted to shelter millions and was forced to make a six figure tax settlement to HMRC after a protracted enquiry process and tens of thousands of accountant's fees.

Rayner may have made an error which may have resulted in a couple of thousand tax being avoided. It is NOT the same.

Tax is largely an honour system these days unless you're on PAYE and the super rich (which will not include Rayner) very much negotiate what they pay. It is naive to think otherwise but that is what all the gazillionaires like Sunak, Johnson, Zahawi, Hunt, Hammond, Osborne etc etc all want you to forget about.

Of course that vile rag the Mail has splashed it all over their front page today for their geriatric nutcase readership to gloat over. Pathetic. Smile and wave on election night!

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Hearing both side cite the others tax misdemeanours as mitigation for their own is as tiresome as the 'you're anti-Semitic' 'but you're islamaphobic' 'but you're anti-semetic' tit for tat.

Whoever's cheated the tax system, on either side, needs to be treated with the same derision by the general electorate. Not just but those who oppose them politically. Otherwise we'll never get anywhere.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
For what it's worth I totally agree that politicians of all stripes should be held to the same rigorous standards.

But to suggest that this is in the same league as some of the tricks pulled by the names mentioned is just plain bonkers.

The ex Chancellor I mentioned is a multi gazillionaire who, via a complex system of family trusts, property holding companies and non resident family members, knowingly attempted to shelter millions and was forced to make a six figure tax settlement to HMRC after a protracted enquiry process and tens of thousands of accountant's fees.

Rayner may have made an error which may have resulted in a couple of thousand tax being avoided. It is NOT the same.

Tax is largely an honour system these days unless you're on PAYE and the super rich (which will not include Rayner) very much negotiate what they pay. It is naive to think otherwise but that is what all the gazillionaires like Sunak, Johnson, Zahawi, Hunt, Hammond, Osborne etc etc all want you to forget about.

Of course that vile rag the Mail has splashed it all over their front page today for their geriatric nutcase readership to gloat over. Pathetic. Smile and wave on election night!
Despite my post above, I don't disagree with any of this.