• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
So you can’t tell me what the OECD’s “real GDP growth” means? 🤷‍♂️
It's GDP adjusted for inflation/deflation old boy.

Very useful, unless you're convinced that Venezuela has the fastest growing economy in the world.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
As you say Hunt’s comment was pretty crass. I don’t think he is very bright.

Are you in favour of the 40% tax rate kicking in at a lower income level ?
No, the 40% bracket should have moved in line with inflation over the past few years and kick in much higher.

'But where will we fill that income deficit' I hear you cry?

The super rich is and always will be my answer. Tax their assets in an attempt to slow the biggest wealth transfer in history, which is already well out of control.

Someone earning £30k per year has more in common with someone earning £100k than they do with a billionaire.

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster
An alternative take
And what Brexit opportunities remain untaken? Apart from the opportunity to remain in the Single Market and Customs Union and enjoy frictionless trade with 440 million people on our doorstep ....

arthur

Looks like some G7 countries aren’t making the most of their EU membership!🤷‍♂️…………

View attachment 15064
That's because of all the immigrants. What is the growth in GDP per capita?

arthur

No, the 40% bracket should have moved in line with inflation over the past few years and kick in much higher.

'But where will we fill that income deficit' I hear you cry?

The super rich is and always will be my answer. Tax their assets in an attempt to slow the biggest wealth transfer in history, which is already well out of control.

Someone earning £30k per year has more in common with someone earning £100k than they do with a billionaire.
A Guardian piece for Jinx to enjoy. Tavy should enjoy it too, as it's written by a patriot

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
A Guardian piece for Jinx to enjoy. Tavy should enjoy it too, as it's written by a patriot
Labour have no plans to do this, do they?

arthur

Labour have no plans to do this, do they?
I don't imagine Labour will publish many hard and fast plans much before the election lest the Tories carry on nicking them...

Some interesting energy plans being publicised today though. These involve targetted public investment in a state owned energy company that will in turn attract three times as much private investment and hence grow the economy while increasing energy security. Not much chance of the Tories nicking this idea - it's far too stupid. Any fule kno that the best way to grow the economy is to cut taxes

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
I don't imagine Labour will publish many hard and fast plans much before the election lest the Tories carry on nicking them...
I'll believe it when I see it.

elginCity

Why give pre-election ammo to the Tories and their client media - keep the powder dry while polling allows it. SKS championed the underdog long before he became a politician, no reason to doubt he will again.

cannockred

This fits the ' I'm comfortably well off but I think the folks with more money should pay even more to keep me comfortable ' school of thought.

Mind you I dont pay uk taxes so I dont care.