• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

elginCity

Very well known Exeweb poster
No, he's just a liar.

Strengthening union rights (as an example of a broken pledge) doesn't cost much at all.
A liar ? How come ? Plans for repealing the Trades Union Act are still going ahead AFAIK, as is the New Deal for Workers.

DB9

In Mr Hunt's defence, he was specifically talking about London and the South East. In addition, he used the caveat of having a mortgage.

It's time for us to stop sniping at the almost humiliating ineptitude of the current conservative party and move onto the govt in waiting which is very likely to be equally as inept.
I'm sorry but they've been in power for 14 yrs, Their policies have directly led to a stupid statement like Hunt said. The SW has always had historically low wages, I can remember in the late 70's early 80's when leaving school, The wages on offer, Even for a older worker was low compared to London and the SE but housing, rented or buying was not as far out of reach as it is now, The amount you need to put down is just way beyond the average wage in the SW and other places. We have to continue to snipe at them because atm life is crap, Our roads are full of pot holes, Our trains are an embarrassment, They're pouring tons of crap into the seas, The Police are under staffed and funded, Same as the NHS, Social Care is virtually non-exsistant if you can't go private. All done and a direct result of the Tories.

Of course you have to question Labour because the polls (Whether you believe them or not) seem to be heading for Government but if say you don't trust Starmer, Look at Johnson, The serial liar, Truss, Who's direct action has caused so many peoples mortgages go through the roof, Cameron and Osbourne who's Austerity measures have led to where we are now. You're right to question Labour/Starmer but I'm not going to forget the last 14 yrs. As for Sunak, As the King said to Truss when meeting her for the first time as King, "Oh Dear Oh Dear"

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Oddly, it's the folks in the west country that suffer the most! They have massively high house prices, terrible services and relatively low wages.
It's broken everywhere.

I know I bang on about this guy, but he explains it with more clarity then anyone else I've come across:

I see no evidence whatsoever that the next Labour government will fix this.

arthur

I am no expert on the inner workings of the modern Labour Party :(
You do realise I was being ironic?

tavyred

As the fella Liddle said on QT the other night, “sorry folks, not everything is the nasty Tories fault”.
He’s right of course, as we’ll all find out probably 12 months in to the next government. 🤷‍♂️

angelic upstart

A liar ? How come ? Plans for repealing the Trades Union Act are still going ahead AFAIK, as is the New Deal for Workers.
You may have noticed, there's a wall of silence on those pledges. It's very likely he made them up in order to gain power and now he does what he thinks will get him elected. Which again, won't happen.

That's why he's a liar.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
As the fella Liddle said on QT the other night, “sorry folks, not everything is the nasty Tories fault”.
He’s right of course, as we’ll all find out probably 12 months in to the next government. 🤷‍♂️
This is true, of course. But the question isnt really 'who's fault is it?' but instead 'who'll manage it the best?'.

angelic upstart

Whilst I agree, 12 months isn't long. It will take many years to sort the damage this country has been through. Politicians are only interested in doing for today, so there's no chance of any of it being resolved by anyone.

arthur

You may have noticed, there's a wall of silence on those pledges. It's very likely he made them up in order to gain power and now he does what he thinks will get him elected. Which again, won't happen.

That's why he's a liar.
Ange is in charge of this. These reforms will go ahead

angelic upstart

Ange is in charge of this. These reforms will go ahead
I'm supposed to trust a woman that lived in a separate house to her husband throughout their marriage?

Gimme a break!