• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think you underestimate Swinson, she is a canny lady. Although i have never done so before, I'll definitely go with them on that straight forward ticket. Strange that im not seeing similar criticism about Farage and his gang. I wonder how many others of the 16 million will do the same seeing jezz has a massive fence splinter up his backside. Could be a game changer.
Could go either way with them. I know a whole load of former conservatives voters who don't like to Johnson and want to remain, so they may pick up some votes there. I still think the straight remain ticket is a mistake, but I would probably vote for them regardless if I didn't live in a safe seat. As it is I'll probably do a vote swap and end up voting Green like last time.

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
The attack on private schools (which many of them attended and/or have sent their kids) is pure class war with little actual thought into the nuts and bolts.

Incidentally re: hypocrites in the Lib Dems, leaving aside the recent converts and their volte faces, who was quoted in 2008 demanding a referendum on EU membership? (Not Nick Clegg and his leaflet this time)
A week is a long time in politics. Any guesses how long a decade would be in politics?

iscalad

I can't agree with Labour on the private school thing, Agree with you Jinxy the charitable status should be looked at but getting rid of them is the politics of envy, If people work hard and can afford to send kids to private then good on them. I can see the case for renationalising some industries but not going backwards, It won't work or be a vote winner plus their total confusing Brexit stance, As Alan Johnson said "Labour will get slaughtered"
It will be interesting what occurs at their conference. I would think some of their polices would be too far left wing to pick up moderate conservative votes in leave constituencies.

IndoMike

And that last bit is precisely the point I make about the "nuts and bolts". Every child that is forcibly removed from the independent sector into the state sector is at a cost to the taxpayer of, what, around £3-6k per year. Multiply that by 615,000 and that's around £3 billion per year extra just on the pupils' education, before you get into associated infrastructure costs.
Unbelievable again! Twisting things around - the privileged become the victim!
You don't forcibly remove kids from private schools : you phase them out.

DB9

It will be interesting what occurs at their conference. I would think some of their polices would be too far left wing to pick up moderate conservative votes in leave constituencies.
Never in a month of Sundays would a moderate Tory vote for Corbyn

iscalad

Never in a month of Sundays would a moderate Tory vote for Corbyn
quite, which might make Labour unelectable.

geoffwp

quite, which might make Labour unelectable.
Quite, so there is one party who will gain.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Regardless, I'm a massive hypocrite because I'll be sending my children to private school. You have the play the cards you're dealt, and I'm not going to deny them advantage for ideological reasons.
Mate if I could have afforded to send my kids to a private school with smaller class sizes and more informed teaching staff I would have done so in a heartbeat !
Our kids school has recently been severely b*ll*ed by OFSTED for numerous reasons one of which was staff actually not knowing the subjects they were meant to be teaching and doing zilch about the long term bullying problem and instead of sorting the crux of the problem ie the staff in question they leave them in place to try again.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Jeezus H, i do not believe ive just read this absolute shower of genetics crap on here. Very very uncomfortably close to the line.
Here you go:

As I said, it is one of a variety of factors. Sure, upbringing and environment helps, but the above shows a clear link between genetic make-up and intelligence.

Alistair20000

Private education is not always great or VFM while some state schools are excellent. Just saying like.

Reactions: DB9