• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
Oh i think you can if you saw JRM behaviour in the HOC recently when laying down in the chamber closing his eyes as totally disinterested during a recent debate
And yet Sir Winston Churchill on finishing a speech in the House of Commons, sat down, leaned back and closed his eyes. About to make his reply, a member from the Labour benches shouted across, "must you do that?" Without opening his eyes, Churchill relied, "No, it's purely voluntary."

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
And yet Sir Winston Churchill on finishing a speech in the House of Commons, sat down, leaned back and closed his eyes. About to make his reply, a member from the Labour benches shouted across, "must you do that?" Without opening his eyes, Churchill relied, "No, it's purely voluntary."
I wouldn't put JRM in the same bracket as Sir Winston, what Mogg done showed utter contempt for HOC procedure and it was during one of the 6 debates the Government lost and he knew they were going to lose so he acted like a total ****

IndoMike

Why you think you’ve got me skewered on the Turkey issue, I don’t know. I don’t recall me justifying Brexit because of Turkey’s accession to the EU. What are you talking about?
I never think I've got anyone skewered. I asked you a question which you chose not to answer. That's your right, but I'm allowed to ask.
As you already know, the fear of mass immigration induced by propaganda such as the posters with long queues of people (Turks?) trying to "get in" was a significant factor in people voting for BREXIT. My pointing this out was a continuation of the dialogues we had leading up to the post.

IndoMike

Because he's a bit of a liar himself Mike..

And then this..

And the dozy sphincter wants to jump into bed with that lot.
One thing we can agree on is that Cameron was a weak leader whose polished image was eventually proven to be that : just an image.

IndoMike

Stuffy, don't even dream of mentioning Mogg in the same breath as Sir Winston.
Churchill made mistakes, but he showed remarkable courage and fortitude during the war. The stress drove him to drink but he kept going, made long and dangerous flights to the US when he was ill, and induced the tremendous spirit of the British people. There were millions of heroes during the wars, but Churchill was one of the greatest.
Mogg's childish act of "couldn't care less what you say" in the HoC is stuck on the sole of his shoes after a walk in the park.

geoffwp

Of course he was, He's part of that elite, Eton educated set that think they are here on this Earth to rule over the rest of us without critisim, Sort of do as i say not as i do
Absolutely. I just cannot understand how decent hard working people can ever want to vote for a party that basically represents the interests of those who have, and have a great deal. Those who have never really had to work for what they have. Those who have the arrogance to expect it will always be there for them. Those who believe their birth entitles them. Line the fekkers up first come the revolution. Class roots are everything and I've not forgotten mine.

IndoMike

Absolutely. I just cannot understand how decent hard working people can ever want to vote for a party that basically represents the interests of those who have, and have a great deal. Those who have never really had to work for what they have. Those who have the arrogance to expect it will always be there for them. Those who believe their birth entitles them. Line the fekkers up first come the revolution. Class roots are everything and I've not forgotten mine.
The reason is that the Tory right wing appeals to the fears of society. If you tell people hundreds of thousands of Turks will emigrate to the UK they worry about their jobs. But it was the austerity measures that really cost the working class. Nice move, Tories.

tavyred

Respectfully, you're making a somewhat out of date narrative on why people vote Tory. If it were simply down to working class people being duped into voting Tory then they would get nowhere near Government. It is way more nuanced than that.
The reason IMO more and more people are abandoning Labour, especially in the Midlands and the North is down to one thing and that is the chronic misunderstanding of a thing called 'aspiration' by the hard left. Labour will always be there for the poor, disabled and our immigrant communities, but if it wants to enjoy Tony Blair type majorities again it needs to develop a compelling message for aspirational people mainly in provincial England. Pandering to middle class lefties in our university cities gets them nowhere near power.

arthur

So , the incredible Hulk is off to give Juncker and Barnier what for today in the latest installment in the Johnson fantasy narrative that I am having difficulty understanding. Particularly:

1. We need to keep no deal on the table to force the EU to make concessions
There is zero evidence this approach has worked or will in the future. Since almost all the negotiations so far have been the UK government negotiating with itself and then with Parliament, it's hard to imagine the EU suddenly changing their position, especially as all the signs of flexibility (changing the NI backstop etc) seem to be coming from the UK side. And why would the EU suddenly change the position they've held firm to from the start - they have much more to lose by doing that than they have from No Deal?

2. I am confident we can negotiate a new deal by 31st October and we will never ask for an extension
The old deal is 500 pages long, has been ratified by all 27 member states and the EU and UK Parliaments. How on earth can you get a new deal written, done and dusted by 31st October?

3. We are leaving on 31st October come what may, do or die
Why? This was a date set as a compromise between Macron and Merkel - there is nothing sacrosanct about it. People may remember a man called Jeremy Hunt who repeatedly asked Johnson "if you're only a few weeks away from completing a deal, why chuck it all away just for the sake of an arbitrary date in the diary?"

There are, as i see it it, two possible conclusions to be drawn from all this. Either Johnson is committed to leave on 31/10 with No Deal and all the rest is just flannel. Or he does want to get a deal and has been incredibly stupid by boxing himself in with this impossible deadline..

Mr Jinx

re the Johnson/Juncker face-off: the right wing press suspect Boris might have an ace up his sleeve that is going to blow everyone over. I am unconvinced and think it's a complete waste of time; probably the world's shortest meeting. I'd like to be pleasantly surprised but don't think I will be. Just more fodder to feed the Remainer shrill.