• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster

Absolutely spot-on description of Johnson.
"This is a new incarnation of Brexit’s oldest falsehood. It is the pretence (or fools’ belief) that the choice to leave the EU gives Britain more leverage over the bloc than it had as a member and, in Michael Gove’s pre-referendum words, “we hold all the cards”. That untruth was quickly exposed. A bloc of 27 nations collaborating to protect their combined interest trumps a lone state with no grasp of where its interests even lie. But instead of re-evaluating the strength of their hand, the hardline Brexiters rejected the rules of the game.

The real reason talks are not progressing in Brussels is that Johnson is not negotiating. His position is that the Irish backstop must go, but he will not say what should replace it."

...."Johnson’s actions are best explained by his congenital aversion to things that are hard. He wants a deal but not the effort of getting a deal. He is lying to the public when he blames the opposition or Brussels for his predicament – but lying also, one suspects, to himself. A man who spent years in estrangement from the truth is unlikely to seek its company now. "

Banksy

The problem with the Elitists is that they think they are so incredibly smart whereas the rest of us are so dumb.
I’d argue with that on the grounds we must be dumb to put up with them.Just to qualify I’m talking politicians now of the Grease -mogg and Johnson variety. Personally , I hope the Tory party will implode , explode and any other plode , closely followed by Labour.

Last edited:

Mr Jinx

Indeed, what an absolute shìtshow it is now
So today we have a minority Government (Self Inflicted) who can do no business and get nothing through WANTING an election and an opposition who for the last TWO years have banged on virtually every day wanting an election now preparing to vote against one unless no deal is off the table, Scared you won't win Mr Corbyn? What a clusterfuc both main parties are. By the way Mr Ress Mogg, Your arrogance and contempt for last night's debate as you laid on the benches just showed how entitled you think you are
Indeed. What an absolute shìtshow it is now. If Boris's motion for a GE doesn't get through then I just don't know what to suggest. Shut the whole feckin thing down perhaps?

arthur

Late to the party, but the Elitists Mike meant were presumably the Eton educated Johnson and Rees Mogg and their mates. Personally I don't find the ascribing of views to whole groups of people, whose membership runs into millions (Remainers/Leavers), as particularly helpful. There are some Remainers who view Leavers as thick (though I have yet to hear evidence of leading public Remainers saying this - still waiting for Rae to back up what she said a couple of weeks ago) and there are some Leavers who think Remainers are arrogant and out of touch. But this going into victim mode is just a useful screen to hide behind to avoid facing the real issues. And victim is never a good look....

Banksy

So today we have a minority Government (Self Inflicted) who can do no business and get nothing through WANTING an election and an opposition who for the last TWO years have banged on virtually every day wanting an election now preparing to vote against one unless no deal is off the table, Scared you won't win Mr Corbyn? What a clusterfuc both main parties are. By the way Mr Ress Mogg, Your arrogance and contempt for last night's debate as you laid on the benches just showed how entitled you think you are
Greaser is o.k , he’s moved all his money into Swiss francs.These people have lost all touch with reality and the ordinary man or woman in the street don’t forget.They win whatever happens, that’s what politics is all about and why they enter it in the first place. The mugs on the ground floor will have to pick up the pieces when this is all over , must have cost the country a fortune in wasted time/ money.

arthur

Indeed. What an absolute shìtshow it is now. If Boris's motion for a GE doesn't get through then I just don't know what to suggest. Shut the whole feckin thing down perhaps?
Still have faith in your great hero? Hopelessly out of his depth. The election should be fun..

"Much more of this and letters will be piling up in the 1922 Committee demanding the return of Theresa May. This was the day Boris Johnson was stripped bare. Exposed as the Great Pretender. A mere carapace of vaulting ambition, which o’erleaps itself and falls on th’other.

Johnson had come to the Commons to give a statement on the G7 summit; he left half-broken, his reputation in tatters. Long before the end of his 90-minute appearance, most of his Tory MPs had left. Even those who clung to their careers enough to vote with him later in the day would now do so only under sufferance as it dawned on them just how badly they had been mis-sold. The PPI claims hotline for duff prime ministers would soon be in meltdown.

They had been promised a new Churchill. Instead they had an amoral chancer who was planning to deselect Churchill’s grandson for doing what he himself had done on two occasions just months previously. They had been promised a Clown Prince. Someone who could charm both the party and country. They had been landed with a music-hall act who was long past his sell-by date. An amateur stand-up who would be booed off stage within seconds at the Edinburgh Fringe."

tavyred

Cummings plan coming along quite nicely.
The story will soon switch from Boris defeated in the Commons to the usual suspects kicking the can down the road again by asking for an extension.
The act of purging the Tory rebels thus making the BJ administration untenable will lead inevitably to a GE. A GE where Boris can point at all the rest of the parties and tell a Brexit weary public that I attempted to leave and Corbyn and the rest stopped me. The man is a genius.

Last edited:

DB9

Cummings plan coming along quite nicely.
The story will soon switch from Boris defeated in the Commons to the usual suspects kicking the can down the road again by asked no for an extension.
The act of purging the Tory rebels thus making the BJ administration untenable will lead inevitably to a GE. A GE where Boris can point at all the rest of the parties and tell a Brexit weary public that I attempted to leave and Corbyn and the rest stopped me. The man is a genius.
Genius? That's stretching it a bit Tavy 😄

spanky

exeweb.com eejit
Staff member
I'd expect a slightly increased majority, tbh, spanky.
You might expect Rae, but the election is not going to be on Boris' terms.

I'd expect another hung parliament, no resolution, and another referendum within the year to break the deadlock.

Mogg didn't do any favours to either the leave movement, or the Conservative party, with his childish laying about last night. Out of his depth.

tavyred

Genius? That's stretching it a bit Tavy 😄
Time will tell. I haven’t forgotten the Remain hubris in the lead up to the referendum in 2016.