• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
I understand your frustrations, Geoff. I'm sat here in my rocking chair, on the porch, with a blanket over my knees as well. :LOL:

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Just to clarify : when I post "Cancel this post" it is for the following reason (which Alistair also has a problem with)....
If you start to write a reply and then choose not to post it you can't delete it / remove that reply box.. The only way to deal with it hanging around is to erase the text, write something else and then post it. So I write "delete this post". I've done that many times. Alistair can confirm we've discussed this problem.
Confirmed.

DB9

Merkel has played right into Johnson's hands, Saying "30 days to find an alternative to the backdrop" if he comes back with something that's not acceptable, We leave without a deal and he blames the EU, Good job she's retiring

IndoMike

Merkel has played right into Johnson's hands, Saying "30 days to find an alternative to the backdrop" if he comes back with something that's not acceptable, We leave without a deal and he blames the EU, Good job she's retiring
I don't agree with you there. The problem over the last 2 years is that there has been no alternative. So I don't see what alternative Johnson can come up with unless it's something absurd. I think Merkel was pulling his plonker.
Johnson ++ will blame the EU anyway, regardless of the 30 days.

DB9

I don't agree with you there. The problem over the last 2 years is that there has been no alternative. So I don't see what alternative Johnson can come up with unless it's something absurd. I think Merkel was pulling his plonker.
Johnson ++ will blame the EU anyway, regardless of the 30 days.
You're right Mike but this just gives Johnson and his allies an open goal

arthur

You're right Mike but this just gives Johnson and his allies an open goal
What was she supposed to do? Throw the agreement out of the window just to avoid being pilloried by the right wing British media?

The Europeans have negotiated an agreement with the UK government which has been ratified by all 27 member states
The UK government has been unable to get this through Parliament so has asked if it can be amended
The Europeans have said "how would you like it to be changed, in a way that does not compromise the integrity of our single market or imperil the Good Friday agreement?"
The British have replied "we don't know, can you suggest something?"
The Europeans have said, "No, sorry, it's up to you to propose realistic alternatives."

The script is the same under May or Johnson, the only difference is that Johnson adds at the end "If we can't reach a deal, it's all your fault". How anybody can fall for this is beyond me..

elginCity

But they do, time and time again.

tavyred

I don’t sense a material change in attitude in Berlin or Paris, just the usual Merkel and Macron good cop, bad cop act. Merkel throws the Brits a kipper with the 30 days to find an alternative backstop thing and Macron talks tough about the £39bn. I don’t suppose BJ is that bothered.
Just read an interesting article by a Bild journo, who says Merkel will not give in to avoid a no deal but will concede considerably in a no deal scenario in order to keep trade flowing.

IndoMike

I don’t sense a material change in attitude in Berlin or Paris, just the usual Merkel and Macron good cop, bad cop act. Merkel throws the Brits a kipper with the 30 days to find an alternative backstop thing and Macron talks tough about the £39bn. I don’t suppose BJ is that bothered.
Just read an interesting article by a Bild journo, who says Merkel will not give in to avoid a no deal but will concede considerably in a no deal scenario in order to keep trade flowing.
It's not a case of throwing Johnson a kipper. It's a case of Johnson coming up with an alternative plan (which he won't) which will be passed by Parliament and probably accepted by the EU before the deadline. Johnson's trip is totally irrelevant : the above would be the case if he went to see Merkel and Macron or not. Just an attempt to absolve himself of any responsibility.

DB9

What was she supposed to do? Throw the agreement out of the window just to avoid being pilloried by the right wing British media?

The Europeans have negotiated an agreement with the UK government which has been ratified by all 27 member states
The UK government has been unable to get this through Parliament so has asked if it can be amended
The Europeans have said "how would you like it to be changed, in a way that does not compromise the integrity of our single market or imperil the Good Friday agreement?"
The British have replied "we don't know, can you suggest something?"
The Europeans have said, "No, sorry, it's up to you to propose realistic alternatives."

The script is the same under May or Johnson, the only difference is that Johnson adds at the end "If we can't reach a deal, it's all your fault". How anybody can fall for this is beyond me..
In my view what she has done is thrown open a chink of discontent with France on how to proceed. France & Germany are the biggest powerhouses in the EU and they have to be seen singing from the same hymn sheet, Merkel saying what she did and Macron playing hardball will say to those in the UK "Ah so they're not united as they like to see" and our side will exploit this as that "30 day" limit gets closer. For the past 3 years we have been saying the UK is divided on what they want, Now after yesterday perhaps and only perhaps the EU are not as united as they like to think.