• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Don't passports and the newer driving licences count as photo ID. What about bus passes?
Yes, passport and driving licence are acceptable forms of photo ID for these purposes. Not sure about bus passes.

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Photo ID's for voting at elections is a good idea and will put us in line with many other countries, Like to think our elections are fair and it's the obvious way to go. Like many new things some people get their arses in the air about change, After a few years people will wonder what all the fuss was about

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
I believe in NI, where there has been a requirement for voter ID for many years, voters can apply for a voter ID card (not sure if FOC or not) if they don't have other valid ID.
That might be useful for someone like me, who has the older type of driving licence and who hasn't been abroad since 1975!

IndoMike

"Appears to be..." is precisely it. Rumours abound (without concrete evidence, so this is all admittedly hearsay) of it being a bit more widespread than people think. I'd certainly agree re: postal voting.

Voter ID is not before time. Pretty much every other country the world over requires it for voting.
Why do you feel so strongly about it when we are a nation of fair and free elections ?
You yourself say that rumours/hearsay is the only evidence.
" There is no evidence of election fraud but we MUST do something about it !,"
You are a larf s'times, Jason. More Conservative hysteria (cos it's Labour voters who of course always cheat)

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Why do you feel so strongly about it when we are a nation of fair and free elections ?
You yourself say that rumours/hearsay is the only evidence.
" There is no evidence of election fraud but we MUST do something about it !,"
You are a larf s'times, Jason. More Conservative hysteria (cos it's Labour voters who of course always cheat)
I feel strongly that it should be one person one vote. Doesn't everyone? I am descended of people whose homeland does not have free and fair elections, it's a proper burning desire for me to see our own elections as transparent and fair as possible.

It is rumours / hearsay, I have fronted up about this - I have read just today about people witnessing a coachload of people doing the rounds with lists of people they'd be impersonating, going from polling station to polling station. However, while I have no cause to question my source, likewise I don't have any concrete proof so cannot make a judgement.

I'd be equally outraged were it Conservative fraud that I'd heard about (and the story I relate above isn't party-specific although I *assume* it was Labour). I made no comment on the party in my previous post. I have heard (from someone "in the know") about potential voter bribery amongst Conservatives in a nearby constituency, which is being investigated centrally.

IndoMike

I feel strongly that it should be one person one vote. Doesn't everyone? I am descended of people whose homeland does not have free and fair elections, it's a proper burning desire for me to see our own elections as transparent and fair as possible.

It is rumours / hearsay, I have fronted up about this - I have read just today about people witnessing a coachload of people doing the rounds with lists of people they'd be impersonating, going from polling station to polling station. However, while I have no cause to question my source, likewise I don't have any concrete proof so cannot make a judgement.

I'd be equally outraged were it Conservative fraud that I'd heard about (and the story I relate above isn't party-specific although I *assume* it was Labour). I made no comment on the party in my previous post. I have heard (from someone "in the know") about potential voter bribery amongst Conservatives in a nearby constituency, which is being investigated centrally.
The point is that it's hearsay. If it was true, why haven't people been arrested for it?
It's frankly very melodramatic to be so concerned about nothing.
We all agree on one person, one vote. And that's what we've always had.
Very Trumpian to.invent a problem, exaggerate it, and then claim you are a victim. Only people soft in the head will go along with it.

Last edited:

Oldsmobile-88

Bus passes could easily be forged.
Can you knock one up for me please :D

Mr Jinx

There's been rumours for years around postal voting. Of the 34,000 who voted in the recent by-election, nearly 10,000 were postal votes. This seems extreme and to call it fishy would be an understatement.

DB9

There's been rumours for years around postal voting. Of the 34,000 who voted in the recent by-election, nearly 10,000 were postal votes. This seems extreme and to call it fishy would be an understatement.
Has it been investigated by the electoral commission? As this is the normal way of doing things

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Has it been investigated by the electoral commission? As this is the normal way of doing things
It was reported to them, but an initial investigation found no evidence of wrongdoing I believe.