• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Johnson promising 20,000 Police Officers, Very welcomed but this will only get the numbers back to 2010 levels before our current PM and former Home Secretary decided to cut them by that number. Cost £1bn per year, More magic tree money
To be fair, Tory and Labour alike all make ridiculous promises that they know they can't keep, which in effect is lying. The thing which makes me growl is that they really think we are naive or stupid enough to believe them. But for the last several years it's been the turn of the Tory party : and they've really excelled at deflection and lying.
It's really time to move away from these two parties.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Hunt also dredging up fox hunting. I understand that will be popular with the conservative membership, but surely that ship has sailed?

DB9

To be fair, Tory and Labour alike all make ridiculous promises that they know they can't keep, which in effect is lying. The thing which makes me growl is that they really think we are naive or stupid enough to believe them. But for the last several years it's been the turn of the Tory party : and they've really excelled at deflection and lying.
It's really time to move away from these two parties.
I think this is different, The two candidates were happy to champion austerity and supported those cuts, Now all of a sudden they want to increase numbers but still won't say it was wrong in the first place

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Fox hunting like the smoking ban in pubs put a lot of people out of work.

Mr Jinx

So we were right about Gideon. It's the head of the IMF though that he's going for.

Rumours are that Gordon Brown's going for it too, so will be interesting to see who they plum for.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
So what? So did austerity and so will Brexit. For that matter so did closing the workhouses. Not really relevant to the argument when you're talking about an activity the sole purpose of which is to torture and kill things.

IndoMike

I assume you mean the fox hunting ban, not "fox hunting". Both bans were/are clearly necessary. Fox hunting was sadistic : to hound a defenseless animal and then allow it to be ripped apart alive cannot be accepted by any civilized person, and passive smoking is a danger to the health of all. The fact that people have lost their jobs due to these bans is an unfortunate by-product. Far more people are losing/will lose their jobs through Brexit, which doesn't seem to bother you.

Last edited:

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
15,000 pubs (possibly more) have closed since the smoking ban was brought it lets say at an average of 6 people actually working in the pub , then you have draymen , fruit machine vendors , people who service their equipment , food for the pubs etc etc but its ok as its just an unfortunate by product of the government telling people what they should do instead of letting them make their own minds up on their health !
There are figures that show more foxes got away during a hunt than were actually caught , unlike how many chickens get away when a fox decides to devastate a farm.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Looks unequivocal to me

He should apologise.
It's a pretty spurious "link" - there is no doubt that there is a festering culture of anti-Semitism creeping into our mainstream politics under the cunning disguise of "criticising Israel".

As someone with a Jewish wife and daughter, I'd repeat my assertion that were Corbyn to be PM I would seriously have to consider looking to move abroad for their safety.

arthur

15,000 pubs (possibly more) have closed since the smoking ban was brought it lets say at an average of 6 people actually working in the pub , then you have draymen , fruit machine vendors , people who service their equipment , food for the pubs etc etc but its ok as its just an unfortunate by product of the government telling people what they should do instead of letting them make their own minds up on their health !
The "will of the people" could well have been against the smoking ban. But what do you think it is now?