• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

elginCity

Very well known Exeweb poster
The EU know full well that the UK would not exit without a deal, ‘no deal’ or even the threat of one is not on any table.

You cannot ‘tinker’ with the backstop any more than you can tinker with insurance. ‘No deal’ is political posturing to appease the hardliners and secure their backing, to think otherwise is pure delusion. ��

Mr Jinx

The EU loathe Boris Johnson with a passion.
Which prominent British right wing politician don't they loathe? 'Twas ever thus.

The EU know full well that the UK would not exit without a deal, ‘no deal’ or even the threat of one is not on any table.

You cannot ‘tinker’ with the backstop any more than you can tinker with insurance. ‘No deal’ is political posturing to appease the hardliners and secure their backing, to think otherwise is pure delusion. ��
Ok, well we'll see how it pans out.

Last edited:

IndoMike

I keep hearing the only options left are: May's Deal, No Deal or revoke. Together with - The EU will not renegotiate.

I think somewhat differently. Given that No Deal is back on the table and the possibility that Boris becomes PM is very real, I think he'll go to the EU and say look, please can we do something about this NI backstop (which let's face it was the only real sticking point preventing the WA getting through the HOC) because if you don't I'll prorogue and let No Deal go through. Boris has nothing to lose, because if the EU don't budge and he doesn't prorogue he'd probably have to resign anyway (and Tories would be toast). So facing the very real possibility of a No Deal, the EU will tinker with the NI backstop a little bit. Just enough that Boris can get it through the HOC and we all breathe a sigh of relief. If they don't budge then yes, it's a No Deal, but then Boris will claim it was all the EU's fault.

Anyway, enough of my hypothesizing; anything could happen I suppose. We'll find out soon enough.
Thanks for the reply, Jinxy. I believe there is no chance of a deal and no chance of a referendum rerun. After last night's vote re not taking NO DEAL off the table it seems to me that the majority of MPs are more afraid of REVOKE than NO DEAL. I feel sure there will be NO DEAL. Regarding the consequences of NO DEAL : in my opinion and quoting people who know much more than I do the consequences will be serious, and not only the economic consequences. . Finally, potential trading partners will have us by the short and curlies.
And even more finally, I fear we will be Trump's plaything

arthur

Which prominent British right wing politician don't they loathe? 'Twas ever thus.
No, their disdain for Johnson is "different class", stemming from his time as a corespondent in Brussels when he made up stories about the EU (straight bananas etc.). Then his behaviour during the Referendum campaign, which contrasted with those who genuinely believed leaving the EU was a good idea, rather than simply a vehicle to advance their careers

Mr Jinx

No, their disdain for Johnson is "different class", stemming from his time as a corespondent in Brussels when he made up stories about the EU (straight bananas etc.). Then his behaviour during the Referendum campaign, which contrasted with those who genuinely believed leaving the EU was a good idea, rather than simply a vehicle to advance their careers
Excellent. Bozza's clearly the right man for the job then!

Grecian2K

At least the horrid McVey has been put in her (rightful) place - LAST! (y)

DB9

Surely with failing Grayling backing Johnson it will give others hope!

Grecian2K

Perhaps Grayling hopes to be put in charge of the new "Garden Bridge" project - across the Irish Sea to circumvent the border problem.

IndoMike

Whatever happens don't give Grayling the briefcase with the "Press here for nuclear war" button

Mr Jinx

Rory Stewart gunning for a top job inside the cabinet I see. Depends if Bozza wants him in the tent peeing out or not.

So what's your dream cabinet? Mine is something like:

PM - Johnson
Chancellor - JRM
Brexit Sec - Raab
Foreign Sec - Gove
Home Sec - Mourdant
Defense - Stewart

...the rest incidental. But get rid of Grayling ffs.