• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
By the way PM, Congrats on your engagement and the news that your fiancee is expecting a child (How many have you got now?) Not being an expert but going back in weeks I'd say you found a way to "Celebrate" your election victory ;) :whistle: 😂
Might be why he's barely been seen since the election 😉. He'll have a job getting the reins back from Dom though.

IndoMike

You've heard of books, right? I have some of those - including ones covering etymology. 🤦‍♀️
* sigh *
Books. Ah, I remember books Beautiful things but a b*gg*r to dust. If you could take just one book with you to a deserted island, which would you take, Rae?

tavyred

A big test of France’s European federalist credentials and ergo the viability of an EU army will be France’s future willingness to give up its seat on the UN Security Council to the EU. Germany mooted the idea a few months ago and they were given short shrift by the French.
France is a bit like Britain, it covets it’s influence and will be loathed to give anything away that diminishes it.

DB9

A big test of France’s European federalist credentials and ergo the viability of an EU army will be France’s future willingness to give up its seat on the UN Security Council to the EU. Germany mooted the idea a few months ago and they were given short shrift by the French.
France is a bit like Britain, it covets it’s influence and will be loathed to give anything away that diminishes it.
I think that is a step too far for the French, To give up that seat as a permenent member of the UN Security Council would be like running up the white flag, None of those 5 would do it

tavyred

Yes we shall wait for the facts before anything happens. But civil servants have not got on with ministers since forever, and they either put up with it until a new one comes in, or they take their payoff and move on. For him to refuse a payoff and publicly make a statement accusing her of lying is unheard of and is genuinely shocking. I have a number of civil servant friends, and their view is one would only take this course in the most extreme of circumstances.
I think what we are witnessing is the latest part of a now quite open internecine battle between a Government agreeing with and enacting DC’s longstanding negative views on high ranking civil servants, and a civil service obviously reluctant to see its traditional ways of working challenged by a here today, gone tomorrow bunch of politicians and their hired hands like Dominic Cummings.
As someone soon to be in receipt of a civil service pension myself, I personally feel no more kinship with the likes of Sir Phillip than I do with a high ranking frontline politician. The MSM are trying portray this as a brave public servant taking on those horrible lying and bullying Tories, in my experience Sir Phillip and his ilk can be just as odious.
Outside of the Westminster bubble and those who have a political antipathy toward the Tories, people aren’t shocked, I suspect they couldn’t give a stuff.

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
By the way PM, Congrats on your engagement and the news that your fiancee is expecting a child. Not being an expert but going back in weeks I'd say you found a way to "Celebrate" your election victory ;) :whistle: 😂
That would make it an erection victory ;)

Alistair20000

That would make it an erection victory ;)
Ooh er missus. :eek:

tavyred

I think that is a step too far for the French, To give up that seat as a permenent member of the UN Security Council would be like running up the white flag, None of those 5 would do it
Yet Macron’s desire to see ‘more Europe’ and Brussels stated aim of an EU supranational state with its own foreign policy and army, makes the loss of French National Sovereignty inevitable.
I can’t see how this gets done TBH.

DB9

Yet Macron’s desire to see ‘more Europe’ and Brussels stated aim of an EU supranational state with its own foreign policy and army, makes the loss of French National Sovereignty inevitable.
I can’t see how this gets done TBH.
Macron's time is very limited, He's not popular and by the time any hint of the UN saying France would have to concede their seat on the Security Council he'll be long gone and I honestly think any future President hopeful would never have that in their campaign, It would be a vote loser, Merkel will be gone too so she'll have no influence

DB9

I think what we are witnessing is the latest part of a now quite open internecine battle between a Government agreeing with and enacting DC’s longstanding negative views on high ranking civil servants, and a civil service obviously reluctant to see its traditional ways of working challenged by a here today, gone tomorrow bunch of politicians and their hired hands like Dominic Cummings.
As someone soon to be in receipt of a civil service pension myself, I personally feel no more kinship with the likes of Sir Phillip than I do with a high ranking frontline politician. The MSM are trying portray this as a brave public servant taking on those horrible lying and bullying Tories, in my experience Sir Phillip and his ilk can be just as odious.
Outside of the Westminster bubble and those who have a political antipathy toward the Tories, people aren’t shocked, I suspect they couldn’t give a stuff.
If Sir Phillip wins a tribunal for say bullying which is alledged then Ms Patel will have some serious questions to answer or resign, Even this "Maverick" Government won't condone bullying and she will become a casualty