• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Plymouth Argyle vs Exeter City Official Matchday Thread.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
There's magic in that Stanno song.

I cannot remember any City song getting so many people singing irrespective of the scoreline.
Agreed. The longer its sung, the more momentum it gains. It's nice that, 4 years later, Stanno is still contributing to City success.

Herschel

RIP Stanno, City Legend never to be forgotten
epic journey for a weekday game herschel. Respect to you.
that's nothing geoff - I travelled down with FBH, who lives in Derby - because of motorway closures and roadworks, he didn't get home until 3am!

hats off to FBH I'd say...................

Herschel

RIP Stanno, City Legend never to be forgotten
Agreed. The longer its sung, the more momentum it gains. It's nice that, 4 years later, Stanno is still contributing to City success.
I found it quite apt that we were all mid-song with that when both goals were scored..................as if we received a little bit of "help" from our Stanno, just when we needed it. :)

Last edited:

Grecian45

A fantastic effort by both the players and fan in terms of atmosphere in the away end.

It was a fairly equal first half, but our refusal to shoot when the chance arose caused quite a bit of frustration. Especially as their penalty and subsequent goal came from a City player running sideways across their box, and had the chance to get a shot of but didn't. They won possession back and Coles being Coles gave away a penalty, no arguments over whether it was or not. Arthur wasn't far from saving it to be fair to him, but it was good placement. The only other chance of note for them was Reid again hitting the crossbar.

For once I actually think the other team scoring just before half time was probably the best time they could have scored. Momentum especially in a derby is key and that took away most of it. City came out playing even more of the nice link up play, and really wore down their defence and midfield.
Grimes came on and things moved up a gear. Sercombe's shot took rather a large deflection and took an age to hit the back of the net. However City had previously hit the post and had other shots just wide. We continued to dominate their midfield and could of scored through Richards straight after but again went just wide.

The second goal came, a great turn by Nicholls and showed maturity and composure to square it to Richards who slotted it home. A nervy last 10 minutes, Argyle throughout the game relied on long balls to Reid and without him would be in real trouble. A fantastic result for City, seeing all the players and management come over in front of the 826 showed how much it meant.

Despite having maybe a slightly disappointing turn out in the away end the noise we made, I have been told by people in the Devonport and Lyndhurst that we were loud and they were impressed even when we were 1-0 down we kept backing them.

Also how quiet were the Argyle fans last night? I was expecting loads of abuse and it was only after their goal that they were loud. There were far to many people down the front, who spent the majority of the game facing in our direction and scuffling with police. A nice feeling that an extra 6000 turn up tonight to see little old Exeter. One last push and we will be safe.

Last edited:

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Brief highlights now up on the ECFC Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1iYGPHl4X4&feature=youtu.be

manc grecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
Love the lad who falls through the gate when Richards scores. :D

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Love the lad who falls through the gate when Richards scores. :D
Haha, yes, that's brilliant. Up there with the City supporter star-fishing on the segregation area after Nards scored the winner in the JPT.

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
It was a great evening, probably helped that here was only the hardcore there atmosphere wise. Felt a lot more laddy than the last couple of visits. I'm always of the opinion that however ****e we are, you should attend Argyle away as a matter of pride, so well done to those who manned up and went ;) We tore them apart second half, there is the makings of a very good youthful side there, get rid of that bell end Coles and a few of his over 30s mates and we could be set for a more productive season in August.

jm90

Great result last night, but where the hell is Jimmy Keohane??

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
It was a great evening, probably helped that here was only the hardcore there atmosphere wise. Felt a lot more laddy than the last couple of visits. I'm always of the opinion that however ****e we are, you should attend Argyle away as a matter of pride, so well done to those who manned up and went ;) We tore them apart second half, there is the makings of a very good youthful side there, get rid of that bell end Coles and a few of his over 30s mates and we could be set for a more productive season in August.
I agree with this. Also, the more ****e we are, the more we need the points, which makes a victory down there even sweeter :)