• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

please tell me Why Exeter City without Paul Tisdale be any better than it is now.

Terryhall

Drifting back slightly on-topic, the last 24 hours has been a handy illustration of what can go wrong with shipping out the manager... Firstly, I don't think anyone thought anyone could do worse than Moyes at United (but Van Gaal is giving it a right good go) and then today, somehow Crystal Palace have decided that the best man to take them forward is.... Neil Warnock?!? I guess the message would be, be careful what you wish for.......

Last edited:

Grecian_Jay

Very well known Exeweb poster
Drifting back slightly on-topic, the last 24 hours has been a handy illustration of what can go wrong with shipping out the manager... Firstly, I don't think anyone thought anyone could do worse than Moyes at United (but Van Gaal is giving it a right good go) and then today, somehow Crystal Palace have decided that the best man to take them forward is.... Neil Warnock?!? I guess the message would be, be careful what you wish for.......
I'll happily put it on record that no one would do any worse than Tisdale is doing and they would do it for much less. Would you have said the same about replacing managers at Palace when Pulis came in to replace Holloway?

Terryhall

I'll happily put it on record that no one would do any worse than Tisdale is doing and they would do it for much less. Would you have said the same about replacing managers at Palace when Pulis came in to replace Holloway?
I rate Pulis very highly and don't rate Holloway at all, so I file that one under "no-brainer". Personally I also rate Tisdale, so I don't agree that no-one would do worse (no other manager has taken points off Portsmouth yet this season?) - but I do recognise that cuts both ways (e.g. I can't state that nobody would do better, I'm sure that someone out there would.)

Rather than a debate as to whether Tis is the man for the job, I more meant that once a club ditches the current manager, you're still reliant on the same board to appoint a replacement, and some of those decisions either backfire or are frankly baffling..!

Grecian_Jay

I rate Pulis very highly and don't rate Holloway at all, so I file that one under "no-brainer". Personally I also rate Tisdale, so I don't agree that no-one would do worse (no other manager has taken points off Portsmouth yet this season?) - but I do recognise that cuts both ways (e.g. I can't state that nobody would do better, I'm sure that someone out there would.)

Rather than a debate as to whether Tis is the man for the job, I more meant that once a club ditches the current manager, you're still reliant on the same board to appoint a replacement, and some of those decisions either backfire or are frankly baffling..!
I agree with the second paragraph. I wouldn't trust anyone at the club to hire a replacement successfully. However given the level and number of applicants I believe we'd get, I think they would do well to get anyone worse than we currently have.

I'm not just talking about league position, I'm talking generally. The atmosphere at the club would lift, I'm sure the new manager would get plenty of support from the terraces (I'd be back there like a shot doing what I always used to do which is support vocally!). The style of play/excitement could not get worse, it just couldn't.

All in all, I'm sure there are those like yourself who believe it to be a risk, I however beleive it to be a 'no-brainer'.

Terryhall

I agree with the second paragraph. I wouldn't trust anyone at the club to hire a replacement successfully. However given the level and number of applicants I believe we'd get, I think they would do well to get anyone worse than we currently have.

I'm not just talking about league position, I'm talking generally. The atmosphere at the club would lift, I'm sure the new manager would get plenty of support from the terraces (I'd be back there like a shot doing what I always used to do which is support vocally!). The style of play/excitement could not get worse, it just couldn't.

All in all, I'm sure there are those like yourself who believe it to be a risk, I however beleive it to be a 'no-brainer'.
At some point, the potential upside will outweigh the level of risk, but that tipping point is different for everyone, I'm not there yet myself but can see how others would be.

Grecian_Jay

At some point, the potential upside will outweigh the level of risk, but that tipping point is different for everyone, I'm not there yet myself but can see how others would be.
You're a patient man Tel, never been by strongest point.

Iceman

I don't get the chance to watch Exeter much but I have a lot of respect for Paul Tisdale who in my opinion plays good football on a tight budget,who else would achieve what he has on the resources he has at his disposal.
Would love the team to have a stadium that would enable them to increase the finances but that seems as far away as ever. Until then it is always going to be difficult to compete with some clubs in the division.
UTC

Barum

I don't get the chance to watch Exeter much but I have a lot of respect for Paul Tisdale who in my opinion plays good football on a tight budget,who else would achieve what he has on the resources he has at his disposal.
Would love the team to have a stadium that would enable them to increase the finances but that seems as far away as ever. Until then it is always going to be difficult to compete with some clubs in the division.
UTC
FFS... With such a naive post it's perfectly obvious you don't get to SJP much!!

Iceman

FFS... With such a naive post it's perfectly obvious you don't get to SJP much!!
I don't get the chance to see City as I work abroad a lot, if that's ok with you but I can still follow and support City surely ...... When I was in the Navy there was always an Exeter flag mixed in with Portsmouth and Plymouth .

wemissmoxey

I don't get the chance to watch Exeter much but I have a lot of respect for Paul Tisdale who in my opinion plays good football
(rofl) (rofl) Iceman (rofl) (rofl)