• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Play off Anxiety!

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Never mind the play offs, the whole season has been bloody hard work. The miserable start waiting for that illusive home win and bottom of the table in November with exit out of L2 downwards looking like the most likely outcome. Then the highs of our ridiculous unbeaten run, all brought to a grinding halt with defeat at Argyle then a period of patchy form when we had no idea what to expect.

Then, to top it all off, two nerve jangling games against Carlisle when we twice gave up two goal leads and a 95th minute wonder strike to get us to the final. 48 games and it now all comes down to one more.

I don’t know about the players but I definitely need a summer break.
? ? ? Bearing in mind the edit for speiling :S :)

Last edited:
I think this is a huge opportunity for the club to move forward and mount a serious challenge to get into the Championship.

If we lose this I will be gutted. We are playing what I think is a pretty average side to get into Lg1. We are far better equipped this time than last time we went up. We could really build on this.

IndoMike

I think this is a huge opportunity for the club to move forward and mount a serious challenge to get into the Championship.

If we lose this I will be gutted. We are playing what I think is a pretty average side to get into Lg1. We are far better equipped this time than last time we went up. We could really build on this.
If we get 2m + for Watkins then we are in a better situation. If not I'm not sure we are. Our reduced stadium capacity next season means we will not be able to take full advantage of playing in Div 1. I would prefer that we stay in Div 2, have a great season near the top, average crowds of 4.8k, and get promoted. Of course that cannot be guaranteed and it us our responsibility to try to get to Div 1 this season

Last edited:

denzel

They didn't look average at SJP, they were unlucky not to win that.
Championship? Let's not run before we walk. Que sera sera.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
If we get 2m + for Watkins then we are in a better situation. If not I'm not sure we are. Our reduced stadium capacity next season means we will not be able to take full advantage of playing in Div 1. I would prefer that we stay in Div 2, have a great season near the top, average crowds of 4.8k, and get promoted. Of course that cannot be guaranteed and it us our responsibility to try to get to Div 1 this season
No way.

League 1 every time for me. Some tasty local derbies, some fallen big boys to rub shoulders with, fewer long treks, higher profile - give me League 1.

As for the thread title, I'm excited about the game because it's well within us to smash Blackpool , and their grubby owners , and have another day to remember.

Nope I stick by what I have said. IF we go up then with the likely sale of Watkins for God knows how much then we are in a hell of position.

And why can't we look at Championship as a target if we go up? Plenty of clubs jump up the leagues and we did it before.

One of the problems with this club has always been a lack of ambition imo and comments above reiterate that. God forbid we try and aim for a giant of a club like Burton!

IndoMike

My point was that if we don't go up (but I hope we do) then it won't be the end of the world if we play good football from the start of the season, win, get bigger crowds, and get promoted. But nobody can guarantee that scenario, of course. Just hypothesizing.

grecIAN Harris

Strikes me that for many a day out to Wembley is enough. I don't sense that burning desire to leave L2, as there was to leave the Conference.
Not in the slightest. Wembley is the worst place in the world to lose at. I never want to feel the way I felt after the Morecambe game.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Never mind the play offs, the whole season has been bloody hard work. The miserable start waiting for that illusive home win and bottom of the table in November with exit out of L2 downwards looking like the most likely outcome. Then the highs of our ridiculous unbeaten run, all brought to a grinding halt with defeat at Argyle then a period of patchy form when we had no idea what to expect.

Then, to top it all off, two nerve jangling games against Carlisle when we twice gave up two goal leads and a 95th minute wonder strike to get us to the final. 48 games and it now all comes down to one more.

I don’t know about the players but I definitely need a summer break.
Your post needs some dramatic mood music! When's the pre-season tour?

IndoMike

Your post needs some dramatic mood music! When's the pre-season tour?
Football is always a roller coaster of emotions, and that's why we love it.