• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Plastics

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
It's this years plastics who are next years long suffering supporters, how many regulars first got interested when City had a "big" tie? (Me Sheff Wednesday in 1965).

All aboard, all aboard, all aboard whoooaaaah;.........all aboard, all aboard!
If that was the stonking FL Cup 2nd Round match we won 3-1 (when Wednesday were in the top four of Div 1), you sure picked a good first match, the next round at Spurs when we lost 6-3 was even tastier ! But those games were in autumn 1968.

iscalad

If that was the stonking FL Cup 2nd Round match we won 3-1 (when Wednesday were in the top four of Div 1), you sure picked a good first match, the next round at Spurs when we lost 6-3 was even tastier ! But those games were in autumn 1968.
Indeed they were. It's the season I started going to SJP. Had been to a few at the end of the 1967-68 season.

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
I don't really get the term to be honest and have never used it. One thing I do know is that there are far more folk who take an interest in the club than those who make up the avarage attendance each week. I would put the figure at round about 10,000. ...
Quite agree, all are welcome to support City in any way and any how. (And you can easily stick another 0 on that figure, imo).

elginCity

Indeed they were. It's the season I started going to SJP. Had been to a few at the end of the 1967-68 season.
Same here. That magical night, Cowshed bouncing under the lights against Wednesday has been mentioned many times on here, as these occasions often (and did) captivate the young fan.

Not sure even Wembley, with 3/4 seats empty will have quite the same effect, but you never know !

iscalad

Same here. That magical night, Cowshed bouncing under the lights against Wednesday has been mentioned many times on here, as these occasions often (and did) captivate the young fan.

Not sure even Wembley, with 3/4 seats empty will have quite the same effect, but you never know !
I was 17, so not so young..but even so.[ecfc]

LOG

City wouldn't have any "plastics", a term really rather reserved for fans of the big clubs who haven't been within 50 miles of the club they call "we".
I concur with this.

Two of the people i'm going with on Sunday are Crewe ST holders with a family connection to Exeter so if they're plastics then they've really gone about it the wrong way.

I'm not a fan of the term "plastic" as it's very sneering when we should really be trying to encourage as many people as possible. I can understand regulars might get a bit annoyed when we sell out against Liverpool but not against Argyle but we're probably no different to any other lower division club in that respect. Additionally, when i hear people moan about not being able to get a ticket for a "big" game despite the fact that they've been to 78 games that season, all i can say is make sure that you're in priority group then.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
I see that there is a group from Staines Town coming along to watch David Wheeler. Are they plastics or tourists? I'd describe them as football fans.
To me its great when fans follow their former players, as we do. If George Friend is playing for 'Boro at Bristol City next season and we don't have a game, I'll go, just to see him in appreciation of all he did for us.

IndoMike

I was there and vaguely remember. Think we had a centre forward called Peter Bullock who scored a stonking volley (now "worldie" - hate that word). Anyone remember who the other scorers? Another great night at St. James Park.

Last edited:

Pete Martin (CTID)

I was there and vaguely remember. Think we had a centre forward called Peter Bullock who scored a stonking volley (now "worldie" - hate that word). Anyone remember who the other scorers? Another great night at St. James Park.
Dermot Curtis and Johnny Corr. I was stood on the bank at the St. James Road end of the cowshed. 4th September. Lovely sunny evening.

IndoMike

Dermot Curtis and Johnny Corr. I was stood on the bank at the St. James Road end of the cowshed. 4th September. Lovely sunny evening.
Thanks, Pete. I happened to be in the OG. Was it sunny? I thought it was raining :(. Always thought Johny Corr was gonna be a top player. never happened.