• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Planning application for new training ground facilities

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Having read this post and looked at the photo, i realise I know more about building than i thought. For instance I know what 'modular building construction is. i.e. the factory prefabrication of a building by constucting individual elements or 'modules' that can be transported in completed form ready to be connected to each other on site to create the whole building. Although I don't know about the construction industry my experience as a cabinet maker working on high end domestic and commercial fitted furniture, means I am aware of the huge cost and efficiency benefits, of being able to fabricate things in an environment that you have complete control of and easy and close proximity to all the tools machinery and supplies required for the job. I can also see the benefits of immediately (within a day or two) having a whether proof building that trades can start work on first and second fix operations straight away. I can also see that although they may be the same shape, an element of a modularly constructed building and a portacabin are completely different things.
Whilst I don't know the processes, I also understand what 'ground works' means, i.e. the preparation and levelling of the ground, piling, laying of foundations and construction of footings for intended building. The positioning and laying of water supply, sewage and drainage infrastructure, electrical conduits and any other underground cabling. Which is pretty much exactly what I can see in your photo. What were you expecting to see?
But apart from that...😉

ExmouthMart

Having read this post and looked at the photo, i realise I know more about building than i thought. For instance I know what 'modular building construction is. i.e. the factory prefabrication of a building by constucting individual elements or 'modules' that can be transported in completed form ready to be connected to each other on site to create the whole building. Although I don't know about the construction industry my experience as a cabinet maker working on high end domestic and commercial fitted furniture, means I am aware of the huge cost and efficiency benefits, of being able to fabricate things in an environment that you have complete control of and easy and close proximity to all the tools machinery and supplies required for the job. I can also see the benefits of immediately (within a day or two) having a whether proof building that trades can start work on first and second fix operations straight away. I can also see that although they may be the same shape, an element of a modularly constructed building and a portacabin are completely different things.
Whilst I don't know the processes, I also understand what 'ground works' means, i.e. the preparation and levelling of the ground, piling, laying of foundations and construction of footings for intended building. The positioning and laying of water supply, sewage and drainage infrastructure, electrical conduits and any other underground cabling. Which is pretty much exactly what I can see in your photo. What were you expecting to see?
Reading that I now know what patronising and condescending means……. the picture is exactly what I was expecting to see. A pile of blocks for portacabins.

Trapdoor

Reading that I now know what patronising and condescending means……. the picture is exactly what I was expecting to see. A pile of blocks for portacabins.
It's all the stuff you don't see which is the expensive bit. Foundations, drainage, soakaways etc

WXF

I know little about construction, though am aware the comparative advantage of modular construction is usually saving time. The cost of modular versus more conventional building methods tend to be about the same, but modular construction can be erected a lot faster. Given that the club continues to use the training ground, there is much to be said for progressing large scale building work there quickly to minimise disruption.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I know little about construction, though am aware the comparative advantage of modular construction is usually saving time. The cost of modular versus more conventional building methods tend to be about the same, but modular construction can be erected a lot faster. Given that the club continues to use the training ground, there is much to be said for progressing large scale building work there quickly to minimise disruption.
If I understood the Taggy interview correctly we did lose 3 days training at Cliff Hill last week, which I would guess was when the buildings were put in place. Hopefully that will be the full extent of any disruption.

Reactions: WXF

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Modular units are regularly used in building or redevelopment of hotels where the units are literally stand alone pods and fitted out with all the elements en-suite bathrooms complete with bath, sanitary fittings and all associated plumbing and bedrooms complete electrical installation works fitted furniture and carpeting.

I would presume that the modular units making up the Training Centre Building will also come complete with time saving installations.

Giving huge time saving benefits Including no requirement to coordinate the finishing works that would otherwise be carried out by Carpenters, Plumbers, Electricians, Decorators, Carpet Fitters and the like.

The end product being as different as chalk and cheese from the humble Portacabin usually used by Construction Companies to provide offices for it’s on site project team……freezing in Winter and uncomfortably hot in the Summer months.

Last edited:

ExmouthMart

It’s also a useful type of building to have if you don’t actually own the land it’s ‘built’ on. Perhaps we could have formed an OTR type company to purchase some land somewhere and then lease it back to the Club and not make one penny from it…… don’t say its impossible because that arrangement has been working well for many years. The kit out the Cliff managed to raise a considerable sum quite quickly. Although it’s too late now. Was that alternative ever looked at?! Bearing in mind how crucial the training ground is regards the academy etc. surely owning it makes a lot of sense. The lease is apparently 25 years and the building life span is allegedly a similar figure, so is that or should it be a long term goal?!

dontpassback

Modular units are regularly used in building or redevelopment of hotels where the units are literally stand alone pods and fitted out with all the elements en-suite bathrooms complete with bath, sanitary fittings and all associated plumbing and bedrooms complete electrical installation works fitted furniture and carpeting.

I would presume that the modular units making up the Training Centre Building will also come complete with time saving installations.

Giving huge time saving benefits Including no requirement to coordinate the finishing works that would otherwise be carried out by Carpenters, Plumbers, Electricians, Decorators, Carpet Fitters and the like.

The end product being as different as chalk and cheese from the humble Portacabin usually used by Construction Companies to provide offices for it’s on site project team……freezing in Winter and uncomfortably hot in the Summer months.
You only have to look at a new McDonald’s being built,the ground works are carried out,and the rest comes in pre built segments,it’s a very good form of modern construction,and I totally agree about the humble site cabins

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster

I hope so or we have wasted our Grecian £s !
PS Wonder if Craig / Scott are lined up to do an internal video of the new facility ?

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Wonder if Craig / Scott are lined up to do an internal video of the new facility?
I doubt they've thought of that 🤔